Beyond the Degree
The Beyond the Degree (BTD) program is designed to inspire you to take action towards achieving the goals you have once you complete your undergraduate degree. EOP is committed to providing you the knowledge, skills, and resources to look beyond just simply obtaining your degree.
Students will receive the "Beyond the Degree" services through:
- Advising appointments
- Networking events
- Hand-picked resources
- A community of faculty/ staff, EOP alumni, employers, and peers
Students who have "no idea" on their major or career goals
- Examine careers and majors that tie into your interests, values, strengths, and personality preference. Understand the benefits of hard-work, initiative, and strategic thought in developing your career path.
- Identify the steps you will need to take to declare/change your major at SJSU.
The following resources are tools to help you make an informed decision on your choice of major:
- Interest Mosaic - This is an assessment of 90 questions that will help you identify your personality preferences and interests.
- Ordering of Work Values Exercise - Take an inventory of what your values are so that you can seek potential majors and careers that match with what's important to you.
- Major Finder - Exercise to determine majors at SJSU that relate to your interests.
- What can I do with this major? - Link to help you determine jobs where you can use your degree, types of employers who typically hire these majors, and gain helpful information related to the strategy and education needed for specific jobs.
- O*NET OnLine - Detailed database which has descriptions of occupations to explore and search potential job interests.
Students who have narrowed their job/career choice and are taking the steps to gain relevant work experience at the entry-level
- Learn directly from professionals on how to leverage your education, student opportunities, and experiences to build relevant knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Show case yourself professionally! Eliminate common mistakes on the resume, cover letter, and learn essential job search strategies.
- Identify the next steps in YOUR career plan.
The following resources will help you as you navigate your job search:
- Networking information via the SJSU Career Center - This page includes information on networking, informational interviews, and the “one minute commercial”, which are all key tools to help you build your network.
- Resume tutorials via the SJSU Career Center - This page contains resume and cover letter samples, videos, and tips to make sure that you highlight your skills and experience well.
- Interviewing information via the SJSU Career Center - This page includes tips, resources, and assistance as you prepare for job interviews.
- LinkedIn - The largest professional social networking site, it has more than 259 million members in 200-some countries worldwide.
- Salary.com - Information about what jobs pay, job openings, and resources to help you in your job search.
- Glassdoor - Glassdoor holds a growing database of 6 million company reviews, job postings, CEO approval ratings, salary reports, interview reviews and questions from actual interviews.
- Brazen Life - Lifestyle and career blog offering ideas for navigating and succeeding in the changing world of work for young professionals.
- “The ten best web sites for your career” - This article highlights the top web sites and job boards to help you in your job search.
Graduate School Search
Students who are considering graduate school or certificate programs to meet the criteria of a specific profession
- Determine if your next step is graduate school or additional alternative options.
- Identify the graduate program/university that best fits your needs.
- Develop a 12 month plan to pursue your graduate degree.
The following resources and tools will assist you in starting your graduate school search:
- Gradschools.com - Locate and identify graduate schools based on location, instruction style, subject, and specialty.
- Idealist grad school resource center - This resource center contains articles and resources to explore your educational options, whether grad school is right for you, how to finance your education, and much more.
- 50 Things To Know Before You Choose a Graduate School - This article provides insight into what you should know when selecting a graduate school.
- Tips on the graduate school personal statement - Includes how to approach the personal statement, what graduate schools are looking for, and how to show your unique skills in a relevant way.
- Kaplan Test Prep - Kaplan offers preparation for all of the major graduate school entrance exams.
The concept for the Beyond the Degree Program is the result of a national trend in higher education. Across the nation, employers are asking universities and colleges to provide more job-related preparation to students before they graduate. Our EOP Academic Advisors observed that students were waiting until after graduation to start to develop a plan for their careers. So we decided to take action and partner with select alumni, employers, and staff/faculty to provide you essential skills related to life beyond the degree.
In this day and age, employers are looking beyond a candidate's degree. They want to hire employees who have relevant work experience, communication skills, interpersonal skills, proven problem solving ability, and more.
Therefore, it is important to have a plan of action to build your knowledge, skills, and abilities and use your time at SJSU wisely. Whether it is determining your major, finding entry level experience, or pursuing graduate school; Beyond the Degree provides the tools to assist you.