Guardian Scholars Program
If you are a former foster youth with questions/in need of assistance, please contact:
Guardian Scholars Program Coordinator
Crystal M. Cooper
View our GSP brochure [PDF]
- Students accepted to EOP for Fall 2016 will be invited to apply to GS in the spring.
- You must indicate on the EOP application that you are a Foster Youth, Ward of the Court, etc.
- Online application, essay & document verification deadline: May 1, 2016 by 11:59pm
The SJSU Guardian Scholars Program (GSP), part of the Educational Opportunity Program, is committed to helping students exiting the foster care system, wards of the court, under legal guardianship or unaccompanied homeless youth.
The GSP team is here to offer help and support on your path to success at San Jose State University. We work in collaboration with many of the student support programs on campus and community services off campus. We have been successful in supporting GSP students through ongoing coaching and mentoring, building relationships and a social community with other students that have similar backgrounds and life experiences, and helping students chart a course toward graduation.
Our mission is to guide determined and ambitious Guardian Scholars through their academic and personal journeys by providing comprehensive support and offering opportunities:
· To make connections with other Guardian Scholars
· Introduce you to the network of available campus resources
· To connect with community support and service allies
· Understand the positive and negative impact of decisions
· Build meaningful interpersonal relationships
· Enhance your financial independence
· Priority registration at the university
· Guidance in building both your personal and professional network
· Assistance in developing university level time management
skills to attain your goals
· Deepen connections with other Guardian Scholars
through purposeful learning/social activities
· Maintain meaningful and positive relationships
· Personal counseling
· Stress management strategies
· Explore alternative housing options in the surrounding area
· Year round on-campus housing options
· Tuition assistance through scholarships specifically
for Guardian Scholars
· Book vouchers to offset textbook cost
· Create a budget plan
· Emergency financial funding
SJSU’s Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) serves as the main resource for Guardian Scholars, offering ongoing services such as academic advising, tutoring, mentoring, workshops and social events. In addition, EOP advisors will link you to other critical services available from departments and programs throughout the university that are prepared to serve the unique needs of former foster youth.