How to Become a Guardian Scholar
Please contact Rhonda Leiva at 408-924-1089 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility for the San Jose State Guardian Scholars Program
- Highly motivated students who have recently emancipated from foster care or are orphaned and certified homeless by the Financial Aid Office
- Incoming freshmen or transfer students who meet SJSU's eligibility criteria for admission
- Admitted to the SJSU Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)
(Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Online Application)
- Complete the SJSU EOP Guardian Scholars Supplemental Application by the deadline of May 1
- Considered "Independent" under federal financial aid guidelines
- California Resident
- US citizen or permanent resident
- FAFSA financial aid application completed by the required filing date
(Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- Apply to SJSU when using CSU application (www.csumentor.edu)
- Mark "YES" when asked if you are interested in applying to EOP on Section 11 of the CSUMentor Online application . Because the box is marked, the EOP application link will be included in the confirmation after completion of the CSU application.
- Students who do not mark this box can return to the CSU Mentor website to the EOP application section at http://www.csumentor.edu/admissionapp/eop_apply.asp and then complete the EOP Online application. Fill out all parts of the EOP application.
- On the EOP application mark "YES" to question 26, section (f) which asks if you are or were a former foster youth.
- EOP will e-mail you the SJSU Guardian Scholar Application in April.
- Priority deadline for returning the SJSU Guardian Scholar application with foster youth documentation is May 1st.
- Once the Guardian Scholars Application is completed, you will be provided with information on scholarship opportunities.
- Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ by March 2, 2013