Art 24: Drawing I, Section 3, Spring 2014
- Mon: Orientation, greensheet, course goals, materials
- Wed: Gesture drawing in journal. Materials: Journal (8x10 drawing pad), all pencils, sharpies or similar pens
- Homework: Purchase materials; Browse blog.
- Reading: 8. Kimon Nicolaides, The Natural Way to Draw.
- Mon: Gesture Drawing. Materials: Drawing board, newsprint pad, vine charcoal, all pencils, sharpener, all erasers, journal.
- Wed: Blind Contour / Contour Line. Materials: drawing board, newsprint pad, drawing paper (large pad), journal, all pencils, sharpener, all erasers.
Demo: journal line exercises
- Homework: Line exercises in journal; 3 pages of gesture drawings in journal; Browse blog Contour and Line Weight.
- Mon: Lecture: gesture drawing, contour line; Cross Contour. Materials: drawing board, bristol pad, scissors, all pencils, sharpener and eraser.
- Wed: Sequential Line Exercises, Loops. Materials: drawing board, drawing paper, bristol pad, all pencils, sharpener, plastic eraser
- Homework: Contour drawing - your Foot - on bristol. Due with portfolio1.
- Mon: Belt and Rope. Materials: drawing paper, vine charcoal, all pencils, sharpener, plastic eraser
- Wed: Line Networks, Hat. Materials: Bristol pad, vine charcoal, all pencils, sharpener, erasers.
- Homework: Prepare portfolio 1. Click here for a full list of works due.
- Reading: 7. D'Amelio. Perspective, pp. 33-37
- Mon: Critique, Portfolio 1; Lecture: elipse, composition, cross-hatch, stippling, and rendering light. No materials needed today.
- Wed: Ellipse, Composition. Materials: drawing board, drawing paper, newsprint pad, vine charcoal, all pencils, sharpener, erasers and tape.
- Homework: cross-contour - Hand
- Mon: Flowerpot in contė.
Materials: drawing board, contė crayons (4colors), drawing paper, erasers, vine charcoal and tape.
- Wed: Stippling. Materials: drawing board, pen holder and #513EF nib, ink, bristol board, pencils, erasers and tape
- Homework: Stippling - free study
- Mon: Pen & ink cross-hatch - still life. Materials: drawing board, bristol board, pen holder and #513EF nib, vine charcoal, erasers, drafting tape
- Wed: Rendering Light - sphere. Materials: drawing board, bristol board, all pencils, sharpener, erasers, drafting tape
- Reading: 7. D'Amelio. Perspective (finish)
- Prepare Portfolio 2 for critique - due Monday
- Mon: Critique, Portfolio 2. Lecture: linear perspective, drawing from the photo No materials needed today.
- Wed: One Point Perspective - hallway. Materials: drawing board, Drawing paper, pencils, eraser, 24" ruler
- Homework: Browse artwork in the blog under the Course Topics, Linear perspective. Also Pastel and Self-portrait. Note: be sure to click on images to enlarge.
March 31/ April 2
- Mon: Cesar Chavez Day
- Wed: Two Point Perspective. Materials: drawing board, Drawing paper, Newsprint (2 sheets), all pencils, erasers, 24" rule, tape
- Homework: Photo Shoot - self-portrait.
- Mon: Multiple Perspectives and Rendering Light. Materials: Bristol, newsprint, all pencils, erasers, long ruler, tape, and a large textbook (for prop)
- Wed: Gallery assignment - Diebenkorn at the Thompson Gallery. Note: We will not meet in class. Go directly to the gallery. See full directions.
- Homework: Print self-portrait photos. Bring two 4x6" identical prints Monday.
- Mon: Grid Self-Portrait. Materials: drawing board, drawing paper, tracing paper, vine charcoal, compressed charcoal, soft pastels (different colors), ruler, tape, micro-tip sharpie, scissors, and two identical printed self-portratait photos. Students MUST have printed photos today - 4x6".
- Wed: Grid Self-Portrait - continued; Individual meetings
- Homework: Prepare portfolio 3
- Mon: Tone study - still life. Materials: drawing paper, compressed charcoal (soft), chamois, kneeded eraser, tracing paper, drafting tape, "L" frame. Note: this is a long still life. Please come prepared with ALL listed materials.
- Wed: Rendering - fabric study. Materials: all pencils, drawing paper, erasers, vine charcoal.
- Homework: Artist copy - pencil, pastel or conte on drawing paper.
- Mon: Caligraphic drawing. Materials: caligraphy brush, ink, drawing paper, newsprint pad, water container, distilled water
- Wed: Abstraction/mark-making. Materials: ALL leftover paper and ALL materials!
- Homework: prepare portfolio 4 for final critique
- Mon: Critique: Portfolio 4