|Dr. Andrew Wood
Office: HGH 210; phone: (408) 924-5378
: Course Calendar : Policies
Assignments : Check Your Grades : Return to Frontpage
These are the major terms and concepts I want you to master for the upcoming examination. This list will grow as we progress throughout the course. Please remember that this review is designed to highlight ideas and concepts that will be found on the test. It is not complete and will be revised until the day before the examination. The review does not include every word that will appear on the exam; it merely serves to guide your study of the texts, notes, web resources, and other materials employed throughout this course.
Key Terms - Thus Far
Löfgren - picturesque (definition), Media of the picturesque, Impact off the picturesque, Cult of the Sublime, Nationalizing of the sublime
• Classroom definition of tourism: Personalized pursuit of novel experiences that can be seen, framed, objectified and/or consumed
Belasco 1 and 2: Auto-gypsies and arcadia, three responses to automobility, See America First Movement, Lincoln Highway
Seven "faces" of Route 66
Rothman's "Devil's Bargain," William Cronen's three natures, neonatives, impact of railroad on "the West"
Tourism as colonialism in another guise - "smokeless industry," Manila Statement
Kincaid: tourism and the exoticism of banality, tourism and the performance of the sublime, language and the inequities of power
Kincaid: Metaphors (library and Cricket), "meaning" of a small place, and "beauty" in Antigua
True/False If the statement is mostly true, place a 'T' in the space provided. If the statement is mostly false, place a 'F' in the space provided.
1. __ Risse says that the most useful definition between travel and tourism is command of the local language.Multiple Choice Select the response that is most correct.
2. __ Liebs describes the turn-of-the-century storefront as regional/historic.
3. Which event forced southwestern Americans to travel Route 66 to California?
a. World War I
b. Dust Bowl
c. Potato famine
d. Crash of '29
4. Referring to the kind of community found at these sites, early 1920s autocamps may best be compared to?
a. Police station
b. Corporate office
c. Medieval carnival
5. Which dance is critiqued because interpreters speak from a generic and liner script?
a. Legong dance
b. Ramayana Ballet
c. Barong and Kris
d. Monkey dance