Tenured & Tenure-Track Faculty Employment Based Visas

The Office of Faculty Affairs can assist with the H-1B and Permanent Resident Status – EB2 (Green Card) application process for candidates who have accepted full-time, tenure-track faculty positions. The Office of Faculty Affairs does not provide legal advice. No person can be guaranteed approval of immigration status or change in status.

Contact the Office of Faculty Affairs at 408-924-6670 for assistance with the H-1B or Permanent Resident process.


Immigration Status for Tenured & Tenure-Track Faculty

  •      H-1B
  •      Permanent Resident Status – EB2 (Green Card)
  •      TN Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Workers


Optional Practical Training (OPT)

New Tenure Track Faculty on F-1 status and engaged in OPT must file a formal application to change status/classification, such as an H-1B petition, prior to beginning employment.

San Jose State University does not participate in E-Verify. Therefore, the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training (OPT) Extension does not provide work authorization for employment at SJSU.