IRS Income Information
Federal Student Aid Internal Revenue Service Data Retrieval Tool Status
Fall 2018 - Spring 2019
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) is available on the 2018-2019 FAFSA (OPTION 1, below).
NEW on the 2018-2019 FAFSA
For your privacy, the tax information you transfer into your FAFSA won't be visible to you. Confirmation will be noted by the following message: "Transferred from the IRS."
Verification of Filing Taxes
- A tax return transcript may be available 2-3 weeks after the tax return has been filed electronically, and accepted by the IRS.
- Or 8-11 weeks after the tax return has been filed by paper, and accepted by the IRS.
- Copy of 1040 form is not accepted (with the exception for Fall 2017 - Spring 2018 awards).
- A tax filer will be unable to obtain an IRS tax return transcript if he or she:
- Has been determined by the IRS to be a victim of identity theft.
- Filed a tax return with Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, the Republic of Palau, and the Federated States of Micronesia.
- Filed a tax return in a foreign country.
Option 1 - IRS Data Retrieval
Who is NOT Eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
- Parents who do not have a social security number.
- A married, independent applicant and spouse who filed separate tax returns.
- The married parents of a dependent student who filed separate tax returns.
- An applicant, or an applicant's parents, if they had a change in marital status after the end of the requested tax year.
- An applicant or parent or spouse who filed an amended tax return. In this case, submit a tax return transcript obtained from the IRS and a signed IRS form 1040X, "Amended U.S. individual tax return."
- Student's parents are unmarried but living together.
OPTION 2 - Request Online
- IRS Online request
OPTION 3 - Request by MAIL
(Tax Return Transcript and/or Wage and Income Transcript)
IRS form 4506-T - mail or fax form to the IRS (fax numbers are listed on the 4506-T form).
If you are unable to use the IRS data retrieval tool function on the FAFSA, or request a tax return transcript by using form 4506-T, you MUST contact the IRS by calling:
Tax return transcript orders can take up to 3 weeks to receive copies.