Verification of Non-Tax Filer
Dependent Non-Tax Filers do NOT need to provide a Verification of Non-Filing letter
Independent Non-Tax Filers MUST provide a Verification of Non-Filing letter
Non-tax filers may be required to provide verification that you did not file a federal tax return as part of the federal verification process.
The following are instructions for students/parents who have never filed taxes for
to complete the IRS form 4506-T in order to request a Verification of Non-Filing letter
from the IRS.
Use form 4506-T to request a Verification of Non-Filing letter from the IRS.
Use the following guidelines to complete the paper form
- Complete Lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form.
- Line 7: Select the checkbox on the right hand side for Verification of Non-filing.
- Line 9: In the year or period requested field, enter “12/31/2017″ for the 2019-20 FAFSA (12/31/2016 for 2018-19 FAFSA).
- Above the signature line: Make sure that you check the signatory authority box.
- The non filer must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number.
- Mail or Fax the Completed IRS Form 4506-T to the address or FAX number provided on
page 2 of form 4506-T.
- If the 4506-T information is successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive
paper IRS Verification of Non-filing letter at the address provided on their request within
5 to 10 days.
- Submit the letter to the financial aid office; be sure you put your student ID number
Any IRS documents with unclear messages, such as "could not be processed" or "the
could not be honored" are not acceptable documentation for Verification of Non-filing letter.
Students/Parents should follow the instructions provided by the IRS to obtain further
documentation that provides a clear and precise message.