Summer Frequently Asked Questions

Tilework on Central Classroom Building

Who is eligible to receive summer aid?

Continuing SJSU students who have been awarded financial aid for the current academic year are eligible for summer aid. To be considered for summer aid, you must be registered in at least half-time units at San Jose State University (6 units for undergrad/post-baccalaureate/credential students, 4 units for graduate students). Once you have registered for summer courses, go to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office to speak with a Financial Aid representative.

I will be a new student to SJSU in the Fall term. Can I receive aid for summer classes before the Fall term begins?

No. New students who are admitted for Fall are not eligible to receive aid for the previous summer term.

How do I apply for Summer Aid?

Students must show half-time enrollment and complete a Summer Evaluation Form to determine summer financial aid eligibility. Once you have registered for summer courses at least half time, come to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office to speak with a Financial Aid Representative.

Do I qualify for a fee deferral?

Yes. Once you have submitted all requested documents and have been determined eligible for summer aid, a fee deferral will be assigned to your record. Fee deferrals protect classes and delay the payment of tuition fees until after the semester begins. You are responsible for paying the difference between your financial aid award and your fees.

How many units do I need to be enrolled for summer to receive financial aid?

Students must be enrolled in at least half time status.

What if I receive additional funds from another source?

Students are required to report any outside aid such as scholarships, stipends, or vocational rehabilitation benefits to the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office. In some cases, it may be necessary to revise your summer financial aid award.

When will my summer financial aid disburse?

Aid is disbursed after the second week of the summer session, for eligible students.

Can I have my check directly deposited into my bank account?

Yes. To enroll in Direct Deposit, go to the Finance section in MySJSU.

What if I change my classes after receiving my award notification?

You must notify the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office if you make any adjustments or changes to your classes after you have been awarded summer financial aid. Your award was calculated based on the number of units and weeks of enrollment you had contracted to complete. You will be required to repay any overpayment.