Summer Pell Grant
Pell Grant eligible students can receive up to 150% of their scheduled Pell award each year. What does this mean for you? If you were a Pell eligible student in fall 2018 and/or spring 2019, you may qualify for a Pell Grant for summer 2019!
To be eligible for a summer Pell Grant, you must:
- Have completed a 2018-2019 FAFSA
- Be Pell Grant eligible
- Enroll in summer classes prior to the deadline (July 16)
- In most cases, there is a requirement to enroll at least half-time (6 units)
- Be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- Have lifetime Pell Grant eligibility remaining
Important facts to note:
- Pell Grant alone is not enough to cover the full cost of attending classes in the summer.
- Eligible students may receive up to three Pell awards in one academic year.
- The maximum timeframe that students may receive Federal Pell Grant is the equivalent of twelve full-time semesters, or 6 years; one full-time semester of Pell equals 50%.
Pell Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU)
Receiving Pell during Summer 19 will count towards your Pell LEU. Make sure you are only taking the classes needed for graduation to maximize your Pell Grant.
Minimum Credits for Summer Pell Grant
- If you enrolled full-time (12+ credits) and received the full-time Pell Grant amount for fall 2018 and spring 2019, you must enroll at least half-time (6+ credits) in summer classes to receive a summer Pell Grant.
- If you enrolled part-time fall 2018 or spring 2019, there is no minimum credit requirement to receive a summer Pell Grant (unless required by your EFC). You can use the remainder of your annual Pell Grant amount during summer with no minimum credit requirement.
Pell Grant Amount Depends on Enrollment
Your summer Pell Grant amount will depend on the number of credits you are registered in, as well as your Pell Lifetime Eligibility Units (LEU).
The Pell Grant amount will be adjusted just prior to the release (disbursement) of your aid based on your enrollment level. Enrollment levels are defined in the following manner:
- 12+ credits = 100% of the semester Pell Grant amount
- 9-11 credits = 75% of the semester Pell Grant amount
- 6-8 credits = 50% of the semester Pell Grant amount
Awarding Begins in April
Once you register for classes, submit a Summer Financial Aid Application.
Deadline to request summer financial aid
For all students, the last day to apply for summer aid is: July 16