Eligibility for Federal Student Aid

To be eligible to receive federal student aid, you must:

Image result for icon of american flagBe a U.S. CITIZEN or U.S. NATIONAL

You are a U.S. Citizen if you were born in the United States or certain U.S. territories, if you were born abroad to parents who are U.S. citizens, or if you have obtained citizenship status through naturalization. If you were born in American Samoa or Swains Island, then you are a U. S. national.




In addition, you'll need to...

  • Image result for icon of social security cardHave a valid Social Security Number unless you are from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau.
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students may have a Social Security Number, however DACA students are not eligible for federal student aid.
DACA students may qualify for state aid. View California Dream Act for critieria and the California Student Aid Commission website for Dream Act Application.
  • Be registered with Selective Services, if you are a male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25)
  • Image result for icon of diplomaBe enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program


Image result for icon of a contractthe Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)