IRS Data Retrieval
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to access the IRS tax return information needed to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and transfer the data directly into their FAFSA from the IRS website.
- Electronically filed tax return data may take 1-2 weeks to become available online from the IRS.
- Paper tax returns may take 6-8 weeks to become available online from the IRS
View Step-by-Step instructions on how to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
Who is Eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
Applicants filing an initial or renewal application or making a correction are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool if he or she meets all of the following criteria:
- Must have a valid SSN
- Must have filed a 2012 federal tax return
- Must have unchanged marital status since December 2012
Who is NOT Eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
- Parents with all zero's for SSN
- Any student or parent with a marital status date of January 1, 2013 or later
- Any student or parent who indicates they have not already filed a tax return or will not file a tax return
- A married independent applicant and spouse who filed separate tax returns
- The applicant, parent, or spouse, as applicable, who have filed an amended tax return
If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool function on the FAFSA, you MUST obtain a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS. Visit the IRS website and click on, "Order a Transcript" or call 1.800.908.9946.
If tax return information is requested, attach the transcript to your documents and submit to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office. Copies of the 1040 tax returns are not acceptable forms of income verification.