IRS Tax Return Request

If tax information is requested by SJSU during the verification process, there are several acceptable options available to provide this information. Please note: Copies of tax returns are not acceptable.

Option One: 

Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA to link tax information for the student and/or parent from the IRS site onto the FAFSA.

    • Tax returns filed electronically may be available 2-3 weeks after the return has been accepted by the IRS. 
    • Tax returns filed by paper may be available 8-11 weeks after the return has been accepted by the IRS.

IRS Data Retrieval Instructons

Who is NOT Eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?

    1. Parents who do not have a social security number.
    2. A married, independent applicant and spouse who filed separate tax returns.
    3. The married parents of a dependent student who filed separate tax returns.
    4. An applicant, or an applicant's parents, if they had a change in marital status after the end of the requested tax year. 
    5. An applicant or parent or spouse who filed an amended tax return. In this case, submit a tax return transcript or a signed copy of the original federal tax return and a signed IRS form 1040X, "Amended U.S. individual tax return"
    6. Student's parents are unmarried but living together. 

Option Two: 

Download the tax return transcript from the IRS website.

IRS Tax Return Transcript Instructions

Option Three

If you are unable to use the IRS data retrieval tool function on the FAFSA, or unable to download your tax return transcript online, you MUST contact the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946. Tax return transcript orders can take up to 3 weeks to receive copies.

A tax filer will be unable to obtain a IRS tax return transcript if he or she:

  • Has been determined by the IRS to be a victim of identity theft.
  • Filed a tax return with Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, the Republic of Palau, and the Federated States of Microensia.
  • Filed a tax return in a foreign country.