IRS Tax Return Request
If tax return information is requested from SJSU during the verification process, there are several options available from the IRS. Copies of the 1040 tax returns are not acceptable forms of income verification.
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to access IRS tax return information needed to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and transfer the data directly into the student's FAFSA.
- Electronically filed tax return data may take 1-2 weeks to become available online from the IRS.
- Paper tax returns may take 6-8 weeks to become available online from the IRS
Instructions on how to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on your FAFSA:
Who is Eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
Applicants filing an initial or renewal application or making a correction are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool if he or she meets all of the following criteria:
- Must have a valid SSN
- Must have filed a 2012 federal tax return
- Must have unchanged marital status since December 2012
Who is NOT Eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?
- Parents with all zero's for SSN
- Any student or parent with a marital status date of January 1, 2013 or later
- Any student or parent who indicates they have not already filed a tax return or will not file a tax return
- A married independent applicant and spouse who filed separate tax returns
- The applicant, parent, or spouse, as applicable, who have filed an amended tax return
Order a tax return transcript online. The "Get Transcript ONLINE" is now available on the IRS website.
Instructions on how to order a tax return transcript online:
If you are unable to use the IRS data retrieval tool function on the FAFSA, or unable to order a tax return transcript online, you MUST contact the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946.