Eligible Non-Citizen





Is Form I-797 acceptable documentation?

The most common category of eligible non-citizen is that of permanent resident (someone with a "green card") but there are other categories as well:

Image result for icon of permanent resident cardHave a GREEN CARD

You are eligible if you have a Form I-551, I-151, or I-551C, also knowns as a green card, showing you are a U.S. permanent resident.



Your Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services must show one of the following:

       *Refugee     *Asylum Granted     *Parolee     *Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending)

 *Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980) 


You are designated as a "battered immigrant-qualified alien" if you are a victim of abuse by your citizen or permanent resident spouse, or you are the child of a person designated as such under the Violence Against Women Act. Supporting documentation is required. Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office for more information: 408.283.7500 or fao@sjsu.edu  


Have a T-VISA

You are eligible if you have a T-visa (for victims of human trafficking) or if you are a derivative visa holder (have a parent with a T1 visa). A certification letter from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is required. 

Certification letters are not provided to derivative visa holders (T3 Visa). The Financial Aid and Scholarship office must collect a copy of the applicant's T-visa as well as a copy of the victim's Department of Health and Human Services Certification Letter for verification of financial aid eligiblity.