Palm Trees Outside Central Classroom Building at El Paseo de Caesar Chavez

Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office to determine how withdrawing from classes might affect your current and future financial aid award.

Refer to the Schedule of Classes and SJSU Catalog for information on instructions, policies and procedures for the withdrawal process. Students MUST complete the Petition for Withdrawal form to notify the Financial Aid Office when they stop attending ALL classes.

In accordance with a federal formula, the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office must pro-rate financial aid eligibility for students who:

  • Withdraw from all classes within the first 60% of the semester and had federal and/or state aid applied to their student account from any financial aid program.
Pro-Rata Calculation Dates
  Refunds & Pro-Rata Charges
Fall Date
Spring Date
Summer Date


Financial aid awards are originally awarded for one semester, or 15 weeks of enrollment. Students who withdraw have their financial aid recalculated based on the actual number of days attended. The exact amount of financial aid earned is determined by a federal formula and calculated on a pro-rata basis. You may be required to repay part or all of the money you received when you withdrew from classes. The amount to be repaid, if any, is determined according to your withdrawal date. If you owe SJSU a refund, you will be notified in writing and will be required to contact the Bursar's Office for payment arrangement.

If you are eligible for a tuition or housing fee refund due to your withdrawal, all or part of the refund will be used to repay financial aid before it is released to you. You may owe additional amounts as well, which you must repay. In some cases, if you are eligible for additional funds due to your withdrawal, we will notify you of your rights and options.

You will not be eligible for any future federal or state financial aid until the balance due is paid in full and you will not be allowed to enroll in any upcoming semesters or have access to campus services (i.e.: transcripts, library services, etc.). You will also receive a letter stating that there is a hold on your future financial aid for not completing required units (refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy). This hold can only be released by the Financial Aid Academic Progress Committee.

Students who have loans and withdraw from school must notify their lenders immediately. If you received a Perkins Loan at SJSU, you must contact the Bursar's Office to discuss an Exit Interview with the Collections Department of the Bursar's Office before leaving the University. Students with Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Stafford or Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans are required to complete the online Exit Loan Counseling session found on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) website.