At time of disbursement, all charges owed to San José State University (i.e., tuition, fees, housing charges, book charges, short-term loans, etc.) will be automatically deducted from the student's financial aid. Upon disbursement, the Bursar's Office will process any refunds from financial aid a student receives in excess of tuition, fees, and housing charges on a weekly basis just prior to the start of the term. Students are encouraged to enroll in Direct Deposit (formerly known as eRefunds) for faster delivery of refunds. Information on how to sign-up is found on the Bursar's website: How to Enroll in Direct Deposit (eRefunds) [pdf]). Students not enrolling in direct deposit should keep their mailing address current in MySJSU.
Disbursement of financial aid
Financial aid awards are based on full-time enrollment. Students enrolled less than full-time must complete the Student Information Update form. Financial aid funds may be prorated for less than full-time enrollment. Below is the definition for both full-time and half-time enrollment. Again, students must submit the Student Information Update form to prevent a delay in their financial aid disbursement. Each type of aid has different disbursement requirements.
- 12 units for an undergraduate, postbaccalaureate or credential program.
- 8 units for a graduate degree - 200 level or department approved coursework.
- 6 units for an undergraduate, postbaccalaureate or credential program.
- 4 units for a graduate degree - 200 level or department approved coursework.
Dropping units after disbursement of aid
Students may be required to repay a portion, or all of, their financial aid if units are dropped or are not at the minimum unit level of financial aid eligibility. Federal and state regulations do not permit students to receive aid which exceeds their financial aid eligibility. The repayment amount will be determined after the add/drop period has ended. Students are required to repay aid for which they are determined to be ineligible.
- If you received aid as a full-time student and then drop units, you will most likely be required to repay a portion of the funds.