The Bursar's Office begins to process refunds from financial aid in excess of tuition, fees, and housing charges on a weekly basis just prior to the start of the term. For faster delivery of your refund, enroll in Direct Deposit (formerly known as eRefunds) under the Finance section of MySJSU. Information on how to sign-up is found on the Bursar's website: How to Enroll in Direct Deposit (eRefunds) [pdf]). In addition, please keep your mailing address current.
All charges owed to San José State University (i.e., tuition, fees, housing charges, book charges, short-term loans, etc.) will automatically be deducted from your financial aid disbursement.
Disbursement of financial aid
Your financial aid award is based on full-time enrollment. If you plan to be enrolled less than full-time, complete the Student Information Update form. Financial aid funds may be prorated for less than full-time enrollment. Below is the definition for both full-time and half-time enrollment. Make certain to return the Student Information Update form so your funds are not delayed and can be disbursed to you in a timely manner. Each financial aid type has different disbursement requirements.
- 12 units for an undergraduate, postbaccalaureate or credential program.
- 8 units for a graduate degree - 200 level or department approved coursework.
- 6 units for an undergraduate, postbaccalaureate or credential program.
- 4 units for a graduate degree - 200 level or department approved coursework.
Dropping units after disbursement of aid
You may be required to repay a portion or all of your financial aid if you drop units or are not at the minimum unit level of financial aid eligibility. Federal and state regulations do not permit students to receive aid which exceeds their financial aid eligibility. The repayment amount will be determined after the add/drop period has ended. Students are required to repay aid for which they are determined to be ineligible.
- If you received aid as a full-time student and then drop units, you will most likely be required to repay a portion of the funds.