Cal Grant




Cal Grant Award Amounts



Students who are auditing classes or taking classes for "no credit" are not eligible for any financial aid towards those registration fees.

There are two Cal Grants awarded at SJSU

Cal Grant A & Cal Grant B for Entitlement and Competitive awards.

Cal Grant A and B

Awards are available for up to four years to students pursuing a bachelor's degree, and may be extended an additional year for teaching credential or other mandatory five-year programs. 

Eligibility is based on GPA, and financial need. The grant is for undergraduate students who are California resident. The eligibility criteria is established by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC).

In the awarding process, Cal Grants supersede the State University Grant (SUG), therefore recipients of the Cal Grant cannot be awarded SUG as both grants assist with tuition fees.

Cal Grant for Fall 2017 and Spring 2018

To be considered for a Cal Grant award, students must:

  • Have completed 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or Dream Act Application by March 2.
  • In addition, a Cal Grant GPA Verification form must be submitted to CSAC by March 2. The Cal Grant GPA Verification form is available at

GPA Verification - Currently enrolled students - Cal Grant recipients:

  • If you are currently receiving a Cal Grant award for Fall 2016-Spring 2017, your GPA is not required. CSAC will automatically renew your Cal Grant for Fall 2017-Spring 2018, if remaining eligibility and income, assets, and unmet need requirements are met.

GPA Verification - Currently enrolled students - Not a Cal Grant recipient:

  • If you are not receiving a Cal Grant for Fall 2016-Spring 2017, you must have either a 2016-2017 FAFSA or Dream Act Application on file, or a 2017-2018 FAFSA or Dream Act Application completed by March 2, in order for SJSU to submit your GPA electronically to CSAC.
  • In addition, you must have completed at least 24 cumulative units towards your GPA by:
      • The end of Spring 2016, Fall 2015 or Spring 2015.
  • If you completed less than 24 cumulative units by spring 2016, you must request your prior school (high school or college) to complete the GPA verification for you. 

For 2017-2018 New High School Entitlement Cal Grant Awards

Students who received a Cal Grant eligibility notification from CSAC were provided with instructions to confirm their eligibility. 

Beginning May 2017, CSAC will notify colleges of student's school choice and SJSU will revise awards to include Cal Grant.

FOLLOW the 5 steps that were provided in the notification and outlined below:

  1. Go to webgrants4students and create an account or log into your existing account.
  2. Select "Cal Grant" from Options to go to the Cal Grant Main Menu and view any outstanding requirements.
  3. Starting in February 2017, you will need to confirm the campus you plan to attend OR submit a school change if the college listed is not correct.
  4. Go to "Understanding My Cal Grant" (Main Menu) for more information about Cal Grant awards.
  5. Keep your email and contact information updated. 

If you have specific questions regarding the Cal Grant programs, please contact CSAC at 1-888-224-7268, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 4:50 PM, or visit their website at  Students may also contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office at (408) 283-7500,  or email at