State University Grant (SUG)
SUG is for California residents who have an EFC of $0 - $5,000. A criteria of SUG eligibility is students must submit their completed financial aid documents by the priority filing deadline date. The date is indicated on the Document Request letter sent to students on their MySJSU.
The amount of the award assists with California State University tuition fees. SUG is not available to students enrolled in special session and to students whose tuition fees are paid by Cal Grant, tuition waivers or other programs that pay tuition fees. Current academic year SUG amounts are:
California State University (CSU) policy limits the length of time for receipt of the SUG. All students must meet the following guidelines to be eligible for a SUG award:
- Students must be enrolled at least half time (6 units undergraduate/credential and 4 units graduate level);
- Students cannot have accumulated more than 150 semester or 225 quarter units earned in their CSU undergraduate careers;
- Undergraduate transfer students cannot accumulate more than 75 semester or 113 quarter earned units while enrolled at a CSU campus;
- Teacher and credential students cannot accumulate more than 30 earned units.
- Graduate students cannot exceed more than 125% earned units of the required program length. For example: If a MS program is 60 units, a student may receive SUG funding for up to 75 units.
- Students pursuing a second bachelor's, second credential, or second master's degree are not eligible for the SUG. The CSU will only fund the first degree.