- Federal Direct Stafford Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)
- Federal Direct PLUS Loan - Parent and Graduate/Professional Students
- Federal Perkins Loan
- Short-Term Loan (Available through the Bursar's Office)
- Alternative Loans (Private Lender Loans)
- California Dream Loan
December 1, 2018:
Deadline to accept loans for Fall 2018
April 26, 2019:
Deadline to accept loans for the academic year, or Spring 2019 only loans
- Loans are funds that must be repaid.
- Students should only borrow the amount that is absolutely necessary.
- It is a good idea to project what your total borrowing needs will be throughout your college career, and to be aware of what the necessary payments will be upon earning a degree.
Loans are available for fall and spring semesters. Summer loans are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Visit Summer Financial Aid for more information.
The amount of the loan is determined by:
- Cost of attendance
- Loan eligibility
- Year in school, and
- Other aid already awarded.
Responsibility as a borrower
Students must maintain updated information with the U.S. Department of Education Direct Loan Servicing Center. Report the following changes, if any:
- Name, address or phone number
- Transferring to another school
- Leave of absence, withdrawal from school, or dropping below halftime enrollment
- New graduation date
Entrance Loan Counseling:
Entrance Loan Counseling is an on-line session which addresses interest rates, deferments, and how to avoid default. Students who are first time Direct Stafford loan borrowers with SJSU must complete Entrance Loan Counseling prior to receiving their first loan disbursement; there are no exceptions to this federal requirement.
The Master Promissory Note (MPN):
The MPN is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the Department of Education. The MPN must also be completed for first time Direct Loan borrowers.
Perkins Loan Counseling:
Students awarded the Perkins Loan must eSign a promissory note and/or borrower information sheet before loans can be disbursed. For additional information on the Perkins Loan, please contact the Bursar's Office at email@example.com or at 408-924-1601.
As a recipient of funds from the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program, students are required to complete an exit loan counseling session within sixty (60) days of your last date of attendance at SJSU.
View repayment plans that are right for your financial situation. Federal student loans may be consolidated.