Your student may have an additional Unsubsidized Stafford loan offered to them if credit is denied.
The student's eligibility is limited by grade level:
- $4,000 maximum for freshman/sophomore
- $5,000 maximum for junior/senior.
A new credit application must be processed each academic year to remain eligible for additional unsubsidized loans.
You also have the opportunity to contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center to pursue a Co-signer or Endorser for the loan.
If you choose to pursue a Co-signer or Endorser, you must:
- Notify the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office of your intent to pursue an endorser.
- View your student's MySJSU for updates to the "Offer/Accept" status on the Direct Loan PLUS.
- Once the Direct Loan PLUS is in "Offer/Accept" status, contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office for a Loan ID #.
- Once you have a loan ID#, the endorser logs into studentloans.gov with their FSA ID and SSN. The endorser will fill out an Endorser Addendum.
- At this point, you must inform the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office that the endorser was approved for the loan.
- The borrower (Parent), may then log into studentloans.gov to sign the Master Promissory Note.