Co-signer or Endorser
If your credit was denied, you have the opportunity to contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center to pursue a co-signer or an endorser for the loan.
If you choose to pursue a co-signer or endorser, you must:
- Notify the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office of your intent to pursue an endorser.
- View your MySJSU for updates to the "Offer/Accept" status on the Direct Loan PLUS.
- Once the Direct Loan PLUS is in "Offer/Accept" status, contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office for a loan ID number.
- Your endorser will use the loan ID number to log into studentloans.gov using their FSA ID. The endorser will fill out an Endorser Addendum.
- At this point, you must inform the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office that the endorser was approved for the loan.
- You, the student, may then log into studentloans.gov to sign the Master Promissory Note.
For more information on adverse credit, visit Federal Student Aid FAQ's and click on credit check.