Office & Phone Hours
(subject to change). Office closed on weekends and holidays
8:15 am - 4:45 pm
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Avoid financial aid fraud! Don't pay to fill out the FAFSA - it is a free application.
Campus Closure Dates:
March 31, May 30, July 4
March 2, is the priority filing deadline date. March 2 is also the California Student Aid Commission's (CSAC) GPA verification deadline for Cal Grant consideration.
The FSA ID replaces the FAFSA PIN. All students & parents must create a FSA ID. The FSA ID will be used to electronically sign the FAFSA and promissory notes, and signal the completion of entrance and exit counseling.
Parents who do not have a social security number will not be able to create a FSA ID and will have to sign their student's FAFSA by completing a signature page and mailing the page to FAFSA.
The FSA ID will be used to log into federal student aid websites, such as:
What happens next after submitting a FAFSA?
Students will receive:
- a Student Aid Report (SAR) from FAFSA; and
- a Document Request Letter(DRL) from the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office. The DRL is sent to student's MySJSU
and provides instructions to submit items found on their To-Do List.
- Required documents for the fall 2016 - spring 2017 Award Year will be assigned in MySJSU beginning in March 2016.
- The priority deadline to submit all requested documents is Friday, May 27, 2016.
- Only students that submit all required documents by July 8, 2016, will have their registration fees deferred. Students not meeting the deadline MUST pay their registration fees from their own resources by the payment deadline.
Students should contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office if To-Do List item(s) do not appear in their MySJSU.
Seven Steps to Financial Aid provides an overview of the financial aid process.
IRS Tax Information
- If a student or parent needs to request a Tax Return Transcripts, and/or Wage and Income Transcript, you may request it by mail using the IRS Get Transcript website and choosing "Get Transcript by Mail," or
- Mail IRS form 4506-T to the IRS.
- Students and parents may also link their tax information to their FAFSA by using the IRS Data Retrieval tool on their FAFSA.
Important Announcements and Dates
- To-Do List Items
- Financial aid awards are based on the submission and completion of To-Do List items posted in a student's MySJSU.
- March 2016 - Required documents for the fall 2016 - spring 2017 Award Year will be assigned in MySJSU beginning in March 2016.
- May 27, 2016 - The priority deadline to submit all requested documents is Friday, May 27, 2016.
- View Seven Steps to Financial Aid for an overview of the financial aid process.
- SAP HOLDS - Students not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will result in a financial aid hold. For more
information, view What is satisfactory academic progress?
- November 13, 2015 - last day to submit fall SAP petition.
- April 8, 2016 - last day to submit spring SAP petition.
- Tuition Fee Deferral
- February 4 - spring 2015 tuition fee deferral removed from MySJSU. Fees are due on the scheduled fee due date regardless of student's financial aid status.
- The tuition fee deferral does not defer housing fees. Contact University Housing Services with payment inquiries.
- July 8, 2016 - only students that submit all required documents by July 8, 2016 will have their fall 2016 registration fees deferred. Students not meeting the deadline MUST pay their registration fees from their own resources by the payment deadline.
- April 29, 2016: last day to accept student loans and to submit PLUS loan application for students attending fall 2015 and spring 2016, or students attending one-term, spring 2016, only.
- Payment due dates:
- Disbursement begins the first week of each semester. Disbursement may be held for several reasons, such as:
- Admissions status
- Less than full-time enrollment
- Academic progress holds
- Missing information, etc.
View disbursement policy for more information.
- Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) - Students selected to receive a MCS are notified by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office if you were notified by CSAC, and have not been awarded.
- Student Information Update Form
- Students enrolled in less than full-time status must notify the Financial Aid and Scholarship office by filling out the Student Information Update form.
- IRS Income Information.
- 1098-T Tuition Statement & Tax Credit FAQs
Visit California Student Aid Commission's FAQ page.
Online Learning - Spartan Success Portal
Online workshops aimed at helping students succeed. All workshops are confidential, informational and available 24/7. There are workshops on Academic & Career Exploration, Reading & Writing Strategies, Personal Management, and Learning to Learn. To join a workshop, click on Spartan Success Portal.