Office & Phone Hours
(subject to change). Office closed on weekends and holidays
8:15 am - 4:45 pm
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Apply annually for financial aid beginning
Renewing a FAFSA?
To avoid delays in processing your 2016-17 FAFSA, Create an FAFSA ID now! Don't wait until the FAFSA becomes available in January.
Avoid financial aid fraud! Don't pay to fill out the FAFSA - it is a free application.
Campus Closure Dates:
December 25, 28-31
Sammy Spartan has some tips that will help you succeed and support you through finals to keep your stress level low!
What happens next after submitting a FAFSA?
Students will receive:
- a Student Aid Report (SAR) from FAFSA; and
- a Document Request Letter(DRL) from the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office. The DRL is sent to student's MySJSU and provides instructions to submit items found on their To-Do List posted in their MySJSU.
Students should contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office if within two weeks of filing a FAFSA, To-Do List item(s) do not appear in their MySJSU.
Seven Steps to Financial Aid provides an overview of the financial aid process.
IRS Tax Information
- The IRS.gov (website) currently does not have the option to request a Tax Return Transcript
or a Wage and Income Transcript on-line.
- If a student or parent needs to request a Tax Return Transcripts, and/or Wage and Income Transcript, you may request it by mail using the IRS Get Transcript website and choosing "Get Transcript by Mail," or
- Mail IRS form 4506-T to the IRS.
- Students and parents are still able to link their tax information to their FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval tool on the FAFSA.
Tax Extension: MySJSU To-Do Item
November 6 - Students with a tax return extension on their MySJSU To-Do list had until November 6 to complete this process. Options were to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool on the FAFSA or submit a Tax Return Transcript to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office. If this item was not completed by November 6, all aid awarded for the academic year are cancelled.
Important Announcements and Dates
- To-Do List Items
- Financial aid awards are based on the submission and completion of the To-Do List items posted in a student's MySJSU.
- View Seven Steps to Financial Aid for an overview of the financial aid process.
- SAP HOLDS - Students not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will result in a financial aid hold. For more
information, view What is satisfactory academic progress?
- November 13, 2015 - last day to submit fall SAP petition.
- April 8, 2016 - last day to submit spring SAP petition.
- Tuition Fee Deferral
- October 28 - tuition fee deferrals for spring 2016, were assigned to continuing financial aid students. These are students who currently have a financial aid award.
- December 11 - students who have not been awarded financial aid must have all their To-Do List items submitted by December 11, to be eligible for a spring 2016 tuition fee deferral.
- December 11 - last day Financial Aid and Scholarship Office can assign spring 2016 tuition fee deferral.
- The tuition fee deferral does not defer housing fees. Contact University Housing Services with payment inquiries.
- December 1, 2015: last day to accept student loans, and to submit PLUS loan application for students attending one-term, fall only.
- April 29, 2016: last day to accept student loans and to submit PLUS loan application for students attending 2015-16, or students attending one-term, spring only.
- Payment due dates:
- Disbursement begins the first week of each semester. Disbursement may be held for several reasons, such as:
- Admissions status
- Less than full-time enrollment
- Academic progress holds
- Missing information, etc.
View disbursement policy for more information.
- Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) - Students selected to receive a MCS are notified by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office if you were notified by CSAC, and have not been awarded.
- Student Information Update Form
- Students enrolled in less than full-time status must notify the Financial Aid and Scholarship office by filling out the Student Information Update form.
- IRS Income Information.
- 1098-T Tuition Statement & Tax Credit FAQs
Visit California Student Aid Commission's FAQ page.
Online Learning - Spartan Success Portal
Online workshops aimed at helping students succeed. All workshops are confidential, informational and available 24/7. There are workshops on Academic & Career Exploration, Reading & Writing Strategies, Personal Management, and Learning to Learn. To join a workshop, click on Spartan Success Portal.