Important Announcements & Deadline Dates
Fall 2017 - Spring 2018 FAFSA
Due to the suspension of the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT), and delays in obtaining tax transcripts, and verification of non-tax filing status letters, the Department of Education has relaxed some of the verification procedures for schools.
Effective April 24, 2017:
- If you or your parents were asked to complete the "Student Tax Filing Verification" or "Parent Tax Filing Verification" form, we are now able to accept a signed copy of the 2015 Tax Return, along with the Verification form(s).
- If you or your parents were asked to obtain "Verification of Non Tax Filing Status" letter from the IRS, you are now only required to complete the Non-Tax Filing Verification Form and submit your W-2's, if required.
Fall 2018 - Spring 2019 FAFSA
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool will be available for 2018-2019 FAFSA.
To-Do List Items
- Financial aid award is based on the submission and completion of To-Do List items posted in a student's MySJSU.
- Only students selected for verification will have items posted in their MySJSU and are required to submit To-Do List Items to begin the evaluation process which leads to awards.
- March 2 - Priority filing date for FAFSA, Dream Act and CSAC GPA verification deadline is March 2 (i.e., March 2, 2017 for the Fall 2017 - Spring 2018 academic year; March 2, 2018 for the Fall 2018 - Sprint 2019 academic year, etc). Applications may still be submitted after March 2, however, eligibility for maximum funding will have been missed. Apply early!
- May 26, 2017 - For Fall 2017 - Spring 2018 academic year, students selected for verification, all requested financial aid documents submitted and completed by 4:30 pm, on May 26, are considered for maximum 2017-2018 funding.
- View Seven Steps to Financial Aid for an overview of the financial aid process.
- To qualify for a tuition fee deferral and prevent enrollment cancellation, students
selected for verification must complete all requested financial aid documents by:
- June 30, 2017 for Fall 2017, tuition fee deferral
- December 4, 2017 for Spring 2018, tuition fee deferral
- For students without a tuition fee deferral, fees are due on the scheduled fee due date regardless of student's financial aid status.
- The tuition fee deferral does not defer housing fees.
- Contact University Housing Services with payment inquiries or view Financial Aid and Housing FAQ page.
Students MUST be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for financial aid. Enrolled less than full-time? Submit a Student Information Update form (see below).
|Full-Time||Three-Quarter||Half-Time||Less Than Half-Time|
|Undergraduate, Post-baccalaureate, Credential||12 units||9-11 units||6-8 units||*1-5 units|
|Graduate Degree||6.1 - 8 units||4-6 units|
|*Students with a Pell Grant award are eligible for aid with less than half-time enrollment: 1-5 units|
Student Information Update form
- In some cases, financial aid will not automatically disburse unless student's notify the Financial Aid Office of less than full-time enrollment by submitting the Student Information Update form
Students not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will result in a financial aid hold. For more information, view What is satisfactory academic progress
- November 17, 2017 - last day to submit Fall 2017, SAP petition.
- April 6, 2018 - last day to submit Spring 2018, SAP petition.
- December 1, 2017 - Last day to accept loans and to submit PLUS loan application for Fall 2017.
- April 27, 2018 - Last day to accept student loans and to submit PLUS loan application for Fall 2017 and Spring 2018, or attending Spring 2018, only.