Hazard Assessments and Inspections
Environmental Health & Safety has implemented a set of tools designed to improve safety and facilitate regulatory compliance in laboratories across campus.
The software includes two integrated modules:
- Assessment: This tool allows Principal Investigators (PIs) to conduct hazard assessments relevant to their research environment and determines the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that should be used to ensure safety in the lab.
- Inspect: A flexible, customizable tool that manages the scheduling, completion and long-term tracking of safety inspections. It is available for phones, tablets and desktops. To get started with Inspect, click here to view the Getting Started Guide.
Risk and Safety Solutions developed Assessment and Inspect as part of its suite of risk management and safety tools for the University of California. The software has been used extensively throughout UC’s 10 campuses and five medical centers. The CSU has partnered with the UC to extend this software to all 23 campuses in the CSU system.
In September 2018, on site training was provided to instructional support staff who will work to help implement this system campuswide. Additional training materials are provided below.
Chemical & Laboratory Safety
- Hazardous Materials and Laboratory Safety Guidance [PDF]
- NRC Chemical Safety Manual [PDF]
- Experimenting With Danger [video]
- The U.S. Chemical Safety Board (CSB) released this safety video in response to three serious laboratory accidents that occurred at academic institutions. The CSB encourages all universities to study the key lessons from the video and to make every effort to provide safe working environments in their labs.
- University of Hawaii Lab Explosion
- In March 2016, a flammable gas mixture explodes in a lab and seriously injures one person.
- SJSU Hazard Communication Program [PDF]
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) Online
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards