Driving on University Business
Before an employee drives a university vehicle including electric carts, or a privately owned vehicle on university business more than once per month, employees are required to take a defensive driving course once every four (4) years and adhere to the following:
University Vehicle Use
- Faculty and Staff: Complete the Skillsport Defensive Driver Training online course. Requires a SJSUOne Account for Login.
- Student Assistants, Graduate Assistants, Auxiliary Staff and Volunteers: Complete the DGS Defensive Driver Training online course.
- Complete an Application for University Vehicle Operation Authorization (PDF).
- Obtain supervisor's permission to operate any vehicle on university business.
- Maintain a valid California State Drivers License (foreign licenses are not permitted). The drivers license needs to be appropriate for the job and vehicle(s) to be operated, (i.e. class A, B, C).
- Have and maintain a good and safe driving record. Risk Management will review each driver's Motor Vehicle Record from DMV. If a Class A, B, or Special Class C driver, you are responsible for providing (at your cost) an original DMV record to the employing department at time of hire.
Private/Personal Vehicle Use
Employees planning to drive on university business need to:
- Complete the Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business (STD. 261) (PDF).
- If driving on an average of more than once a month, complete the Skillsport Defensive Driver Training online course. (Requires a SJSUOne Account for Login.)
Vounteers Driving on University Business
- Volunteers who drive vehicles on official university business, such as field trips or athletic events, need to complete the Human Resources' Volunteer Request and Appointment Package (PDF).
- Volunteers need to have already completed the Volunteer Request and Appointment Form (PDF) before driving on university business.
Additional Driving Resources
- SJSU Main Campus Map (PDF)
- CSU Use of University & Private Vehicles Guidelines (PDF)
- Motor Vehicle Accidents State Driver Reporting Procedures (PDF)
- SJSU Travel Guide
- Skillport Defensive Driving Fundamentals Course Instructions (PDF)
If you are involved in a vehicle accident while driving on university business, fill out the following forms: