COMM 191J : Judging
This is a credit/no-credit course. To receive credit you will need to complete the following:
- Review the rules in How to Write the Perfect Ballot. This book may be purchased for $12 in HGH 214. There also are four copies on reserve in the library.
- Watch and evaluate performances on this site or in the classroom on T/H 3:30-5:00. Your written ballots must be submitted early in the semester.
- Attend and judge a high school or college speech and/or debate tournament.
The prerequisite for this course is COMM 91J, Judge Training, or previous judging/forensics experience. Please read the following directions carefully.
- You will need to select a tournament to attend. View the list of posted high school tournaments on the wall outside HGH 214 or in the High School tournament calendar on this site. The calendar will be available by the middle of September.
- You may also select the SJSU intramural tournament, which typically is held on campus on the Friday before the SJSU Study/Conference Day.
- Once you have selected a tournament, make sure you write down the location, directions, and start time.
- If you are attending a high school tournament, you will need to check in at the judging table or room 30 minutes before the start of the tournament. You will be expected to judge at least four rounds of individual events or three debate rounds. Make sure to ask for your judging card when you are finished judging.
- If you would like to judge for the intramural tournament, you will need to sign-up on the sign-up sheet outside of HGH 214 or send an email to our site. You will be expected to judge for the whole afternoon from 1:30 until 6:00. No exceptions.
- This site will prepare you for judging. Tips and strategies are listed in the videos.
- If you are at all uncertain about judging or have never done it before, please follow the materials in COMM 91J or attend one of the classroom practices to get individual support for judging speaking events or debates. You must notify the coaching staff in advance if you plan to attend so we can arrange the best possible learning experience for you.
- The high school judging cards will need to be turned in by the Friday prior final exams. Sooner is preferred.
- If you judge the intramurals you will automatically receive credit.
You can take this course three times for credit, so please come back next semester and judge for us again!