COMM 91J : Judge Training
You will need to view three introductory videos on this site and then your choice of the Lincoln/Douglas videos or going to the link
for Parliamentary value debate. Choose one or the other. If you are judging for the
SJSU intramural debate, we recommend the Parliamentary debate link. This debate will
be the best for practicing your debate judging skills.
- After completing the ballots you can either, return them to the black file box outside of HGH 214 or hit the submit button and email them to us. Make sure that your name is clearly written on all three ballots and include an email address. No email address no credit.
The ballots will need to be submitted by:
- The first Monday in December for the Fall semester, or
- The first Monday in May for the Spring semester if you are not judging the intramural. If you are, we need them by April 26th.
- You will need a copy of How to Write the Perfect Ballot. The book contains the rules for each event and information that will help you write your ballots. This book is available M-F in HGH 108 and T and TH in HGH 214 for $5.
- Once you have a copy of the text, read the Overview of Judge's Responsibilities and look at the events in Oral Interpretation of Literature; Platform Speeches and Debate. The high schools have added Parliamentary Debate. It is not included in this handbook, but the information is on this web-site under rules for Parliamentary Debate.
- If for some reason you encounter technical difficulty, send us an email. This site should operate smoothly, if it doesn't, don't give up. We will not accept excuses that you were unable to navigate the site and therefore have not completed the assignments.
- You need to watch both individual events and you may choose either the Lincoln Douglas debate or the parliamentary debate. Ballots must be thoroughly completed for each event to get credit for this class. On either the internet ballot or the one you print out – please list your email address next to your name.