GAPE Forms

Below are the forms developed and used by Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations in relation to prospective and current students. Except where noted (e.g., IRB and Thesis forms) these forms should be delivered to Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations in the Student Services Center. All documents are arranged alphabetically, are in PDF format, and require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing. For fillable forms, first save to disk before beginning the filling process; entries on the forms will be lost if the form had not been saved in advance.

Declaration of Finance
For F1 student applicants only.

Residency Questionnaire

Submit only if requested by Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations.

Waiver of Right of Access to Letters of Recommendation
Applicant waiver to be filled out by applicant and recommender and submitted to departments with letters of recommendation.

Change of Classification in Master's Program
Change classification from conditional to classified standing.

Application for a Change of Graduate Major
Use for switching graduate programs.

Master's Level Double Degree Application 
Use for adding a second master's degree program.

Course Transfer Validation Form
To be used only in those rare circumstances where transfer course credit needs to be validated before filing of a candidacy form.

Petition for Advancement to Graduate Candidacy
Degree Candidacy form. Note that if pull-down menus lack an option that you need, it is likely that the slot is still fillable; simply type in the entry desired. As of the Fall 2010 semester, this form requires the signature of the departmental or school graduate advisor, not simply the master's committee chair. 

Graduate Retroactive Course Add
As of the Fall 2010 semester, this form has been terminated and replaced with the Post-Census Date Petition for Late Enrollment, available after the Census Date each semester on the Registrar's website. Prior to the Census Date, late course adds are requested through the Pre-Census Date Petition for Late Enrollment, also available on the Registrar's site.

Graduate Petition for Excess Units 
This petition is intended for use by graduate students who wish to take course units in excess of 16 semester units, the current university maximum without permission. 

Petition for Graduate Course Withdrawal
For late or retroactive withdrawal from a single course or entire semester.

Graduate Petition for Extension of Time Limit for Removal of Incomplete Grade
One-year incomplete grade extension.

Graduate Petition for Extension of Time Limit for Removal of Report-in-Progress Grade
Two-year extension of RP grade.

Request for Course Substitution in Master's Degree Program
Make changes to approved candidacy.

Request for Revalidation of Course that Has Exceeded the Seven-Year Time Limit
7-year limit form.

Graduate Reinstatement Petition
To be used following university disqualification.

Verification of Culminating Experience
Memo used by departments to approve completion of degree. Only graduate advisors have a copy of this form, which they submit on the student's behalf.

Application for Award of Master's Degree
Graduation application.

Graduation Date Change Request for Award of Master's Degree
Reactivation form if student has already filed a graduation application, but graduation has been delayed.

Advanced Certificate Audit
To be submitted by certificate program directors on behalf of a student when certificate program is completed. 

Duplicate Diploma Request
Form for receiving copies of diploma.

Guide for Interdisciplinary Studies
For Interdisciplinary Studies applicants only. For additional information about the Interdiciplinary Studies Program, please visit the Graduate Studies and Research website.

Human Subjects Research IRB Forms and Thesis Guidelines

  • For forms and templates related to human subjects research as well as thesis preparation please visit the Office of Graduate Studies and Research website. IRB and Thesis related forms should be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies and Research in the Administration Building Room 223B.

Transfer IN (I-20 Transfer Request)
For newly admitted foreign students transferring a current and active I-20 Visa to SJSU in order to attend.