We appreciate your interest in pursuing a graduate career at San José State University. In this section you will find out more about SJSU, the programs we offer, our application process and requirements, and important deadlines and forms related to applying for graduate admission. Some additional external links that might be of interest to prospective students are also listed, including information about housing and other available services.
About San Jose State University
Why San José State? Why Not! Explore the vast and diverse opportunities available to you as a graduate student at SJSU.
SJSU Graduate Programs
A complete listing of the over seventy graduate programs we offer; includes links to their respective websites and contact information.
Financial Information: Fees, Payments, Funding and Financial Assistance
Find out how much it costs to pursue a graduate degree at San José State University and explore the financial assistance SJSU offers to qualified students.
Graduate Admission Requirements: To be considered for admission into SJSU, graduate applicants must meet the minimum CSU Eligibility requirements and SJSU program requirements set forth by our individual departments. SJSU minimum requirements for graduate school eligibility are:
- The completion of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution, or the completion of a 4-year bachelor’s degree from a recognized, accredited, and approved institution from a foreign country.
- Hold a GPA of at least 2.5 (from the 0.0-4.0 U.S. grading scale) in the last degree completed, or a GPA of 2.5 in the last two years of full time study.
- Good academic standing at the last institution attended.
- English Language Proficiency Exam, if necessary (see step 6 for requirements).
Applying to SJSU
Domestic Applicants: How to Apply
Outlines the steps for applying to SJSU as a domestic applicant.
International Applicants: How to Apply
Outlines the steps for applying to SJSU as an international applicant.
Find out if your intended department requires any graduate tests such as the GRE or
Information on how to qualify for residency tuition.
"Steps to Graduate Admission"
The Fall 2018 Steps to Graduate admission publication includes step-by-step instructions for completing the graduate admission process.
Graduate Application Flowchart
The domestic version of the Graduate Application Process flowchart provides an overview of the application process for graduate admission for domestic applicants.
The international version of the Graduate Application Process flowchart provides an overview of the application process for graduate admission for international applicants.
Follow the listed deadline for your intended major. Be sure to check carefully as deadlines may vary by program.
Prospective Student Forms
Prospective Student Forms
Download forms you might need to submit.
Additional External Links
MySJSU provides a direct link to check your application status online through the My SJSU website. You will need your UserID and Password that you receive after submitting your online application.
San José State University offers students many options when it comes to housing:
- SJSU's new Campus Village has state of the art apartments dedicated to graduate students and their needs.
- Students may also want to investigate the SJSU International House, a co-ed residence home to around 70 international and American students.
- University Housing Services has information concerning all aspects of University Housing Services and can direct you to other campus resources.
Other Useful Links
SJSU Catalog:Graduate and Postbaccalaureate Information and Class Schedules
Enrollment and Academic Services
International Programs and Services Office
SJSU Testing and Evaluation Department
Educational Testing Service (ETS)