ASB Application Process
|Applications close||February 11, 2019|
|Application status notification to participants||1 - 3 business days after you submit your completed application|
|Complete Participant Agreement Form||Check your acceptance email for the deadline|
Full program payment
|February 14, 2019|
|Complete health form||February 14, 2019|
|Complete pre-departure orientation||March 8, 2019|
- Go to the ASB List page. You will see an APPLY HERE! link under the program's description. Click on the link to be routed to the next page.
- Click on the "Apply Now" button for the program you want to apply to. Each program has a separate application, so make sure you are on the correct program page.
- Log into the Terra Dotta system using your SJSU ID number and your password.
- Create and complete the profile as a first-time user in Terra Dotta. Once your profile is completed, you will be routed to your applicant home page.
- Click on the ASB program link under the Applications box. This will take you to the Program Application Page that will contain application instructions and documents you need to complete and submit.
- Read the instructions carefully.
- Click on the questionnaire link under the Application Questionnaires box. Complete the questionnaire. If you would like to save your responses and come back to them later, you can click on the "Save" button. Once you hit the "Submit" button, your responses for the questionnaire will be submitted, and you will no longer be able to change your responses. Your responses to the questions will be reviewed by GEI as part of the acceptance process. Applications will not be considered for review until the questionnaire is completed.
- Once all application requirements have been completed, click on the 'Submit Application' button at the top of the Program Application Page. If you attempt to submit your application before it is complete, you will receive a warning message. Once successfully submitted, a date and time stamp will appear for confirmation on your application.
- For ASB applicants, you are not required to attend a GEI General Information Session as part of your application.
- Check your email and account frequently for messages from GEI.
College of Health and Human Sciences International Experience Requirement
If you are planning to sign up for the Alternative Spring Break program to fulfill your international experience requirement, please be aware that you will need to take the APSC 198ITL course after returning from the program. For more details, please discuss with your major advisor.
GEI will review your application and determine your eligibility for the program. If your application to the program is accepted, you will receive an official acceptance letter from the Global Education and Initiatives Office. The official acceptance letter will provide instructions on the next steps of the process, including information on:
- signing the Participant Agreement
- making the full program payment
- completing student health form
- pre-departure orientation
- and other details to get you ready for your program
ASB Student Policies
For the safety of all people involved, students are required to abide by ASB rules and regulations. Visit the Student Policies page for detailed information.
Important Note: Applicants should not purchase their flight until they receive a notification from Global Education & Initiatives. The notification will let the applicants know that it is ok to proceed with purchasing the flight.
Full Program Payment
The Global Education & Initiatives Office will send a payment instruction email which will include a link to the online program payment page and detailed instructions on how to submit your payment.
ASB Refund Schedule
|Refund Time Frame||Refund Amount|
|46+ days prior to program start date||Full Refund of Program Fee|
|45-31 days prior to program start date||75% Refund of Program Fee|
|15-30 days prior to program start date||50% Refund of Program Fee|
|1-14 days prior to program start date||25% Refund of Program Fee|
|Once program starts||No Refund|
Alternative Spring Breaks may be canceled if insufficient enrollment is met. If a program is canceled, program fees will be refunded. However, SJSU is not responsible for refunding any personal expenses (e.g. flights, spending money, etc.) if the program is canceled. Airfares and other individual expenses are the responsibility of the participant.
Preparing for Your Departure
All participants are required to attend a pre-departure orientation that will cover cultural, health, and safety information for travel to your program location. GEI will contact you and provide information on how to complete your pre-departure orientation.
It is important to make sure you have the appropriate travel documents ready for your program. Participants should review what documents are needed to travel within the United States.
International Students: You will need a valid passport, your I-20 (F-1 students) or DS-2019 (J-1 students), and your most recent I-94.
DACA Students: Information on domestic travel
US Citizens: You will need a valid form of government issued photo identification. Visit the TSA website to see what IDs you can use.