India: Spice Up Your Life
January 3 - January 17
Thursday, Mar. 23
Thursday, Apr. 6
Friday, Apr. 7
Friday, Apr. 14
Thursday, Apr. 20
Thursday, May 4
For general FLP sessions, see the Resources page.
Follow us on Facebook to get the latest FLP news and updates.
India! Amazing India!
Would you like to:
- Explore a palace that is home to Indian royalty who ruled the state for over 550 years?
- Tour a Tibetan settlement in India, which is home to 10,000 Buddhist monks and a Golden Temple with statues over forty feet tall?
- Visit an elephant rescue camp where you can actively participate in bathing and feeding these majestic creatures?
Would you have any interest in doing all of this AND earning Upper Division Area V credits towards graduation?
If you answered yes (and who wouldn't?), this may be the FLP for you!
Join me in discovering all of the wonderful sights, sounds, and tastes of Bengaluru and Mysore, India.
This two-week Winter FLP will cover an upper division Area V course: NUFS 144-Food and Culture-Consuming Passions.
We'll do so much in two weeks...
- learn about (and sample!) traditional South Indian foods
- experience a Mela dedicated to the Avarekai broad bean, used in traditional South Indian cooking
- explore historic palaces and museums showcasing Indian architecture and traditional art
- take walking tours of some of the oldest neighborhoods in Bengaluru
- discover why the city is named the Garden City by visiting LalBagh Botanical Garden & Cubbon Park
- go to streetside farmer's markets where fruits, vegetables, and flowers are sold on wheeled carts
- experience the mix between traditional India and contemporary India with its high tech culture (Bengaluru is the Silicon Valley of India)
- visit a real Ashram and participate in a meditation session
- attend cultural performances of traditional music and dance
- shop for Indian spices, bargain for the best prices, perhaps even make your own masala
- learn a bit of the local language and interact with local college students
In other words, allow yourself to be immersed completely in Indian culture for two life-changing weeks!!
Student Application Process - How to Apply & Important Deadlines