Associate Professor, PaleontologyPhone: 408 924-5279
Office: DH 307
Office Hours (Fall 2014): On sabbatical
- Ph.D. 2005, Geological Sciences, Cornell University
- Research is on: the intrinsic and extrinsic factors and connections responsible for evolutionary change and extinction; integration of diverse data sets (such as molecular sequence data and fossils) for the purpose of phylogeny reconstruction; quantitative paleobiogeography using tools such as GIS; and systematics of Cenozoic gastropods (snails), particularly members of the genus Conus (cone snails).
- Earth, Time, and Life (GEOL 7)
- Paleontology (GEOL 142)
- Advanced Paleontology (GEOL 242)
- Mass Extinctions (GEOL 285)
- The Cambrian Explosion (GEOL 285)
Recent Activity (2011-2013)
- Hendricks, J.R., 2012, Larvae, dispersal ability, and the evolution and persistence of species: examples from marine snails: Evolution: Education and Outreach, v. 5, p. 534-540.
- Hendricks, J.R., 2013, Global distributional dynamics of Cambrian clades as revealed by Burgess Shale-type deposits, in Harper, D.A.T., and Servais, T. eds, Early Palaeozoic Palaeobiogeography and Palaeogeography: Geological Society, London, Memoir 38, p. 33-41 (doi: 10.1144/M38.4).
- Smith, U.E., and Hendricks, J.R., 2013, Geometric morphometric character suites as phylogenetic data: extracting phylogenetic signal from gastropod shells: Systematic Biology, v. 62, p. 366-385 (doi: 10.1093/sysbio/syt002).
- Hendricks, J.R., 2013, Episodes from the history of paleontology and geology: elucidated using culturomics,
Evolution: This View of Life Webpage (online only; not peer-reviewed).
- Chapter 1: Mastodon vs. Dinosaur
- Chapter 2: Most Popular Dinosaur Ever? http://www.thisviewoflife.com/index.php/magazine/articles/episodes-from-the-history-of-paleontology-and-geology-chapter-two-most-popu
- Chapter 3: What Happened to the Theory of Geosynclines? http://www.thisviewoflife.com/index.php/magazine/articles/the-history-of-paleontology-and-geology-chapter-3-what-happened-to-the-theo
- Chapter 4: The Age of the Earth.
- Chapter 1: Mastodon vs. Dinosaur
- Hendricks, J.R., “Digitization TCN: Collaborative Research: Digitizing Fossils to Enable New Syntheses in Biogeography - Creating a PALEONICHES-TCN”, National Science Foundation ($157,975, 7/1/2012 to 6/30/2015).
- Hendricks, J.R., 2012, Conus (cone snail) species diversity in coral reef associated fossil assemblages from the Neogene of the northern Dominican Republic: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 44, no. 7, p. 624.
- Hendricks, J.R., 2011, The relationship between local species abundance and larval developmental mode in a remarkable sample of Conus (Neogastropoda) from the early Pliocene of the Dominican Republic: Geological Society of American Abstracts with Programs, v. 43, no. 5, p. 208.
- Hendricks, J.R., and Dietl, G.P., 2011, A standardized test of the inverse relationship between drilling and repair frequencies: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 43, no. 5, p. 86.
- Saupe, E.E., Hendricks, J.R., Halloran, P., and Lieberman, B.S., 2011, Climate change and marine mollusks: a tale of invasions, immigration and extirpation: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 43, no. 5, p. 502.
- Hendricks, J.R., Portell, R.W., Lenci, E.M., Abdollahian, N., Lenci, A.M., Kittle, B.A., and Roberts, S.W., 2013, The digital atlas of Neogene life: Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Denver, v. 45, no. 7.
- Hendricks, J.R., Stigall, A.L., Portell, R.W., Saupe, E.E., and Lieberman, B.S., 2013, Biogeographic responses of mollusk species to Plio-Pleistocene environmental change in the western Atlantic: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 45, no. 7.
- Levy, M.G., Nirody, J.A., Neu, J.C., Hendricks, J.R., Slatkin, M., and Oster, G.R., 2013, A neural-field model for the evolution of Conus shell patterns: Society of Integrative and Comparative Biology Annual Meeting, e126. http://icb.oxfordjournals.org/content/53/suppl_1/e1.full.pdf+html
- Saupe, E.E., Hendricks, J.R., Portell, R.W., Dowsett, H., Haywood, A., Hunter, S., and Lieberman, B.S., 2013, Macroevolutionary consequences of profound climate change on niche evolution: an examination of marine mollusks over the past 3 million years: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 45, no. 7.
- Hendricks, J.R., February 2012, “Integrating paleontological, morphological, and molecular sequence data to reconstruct the phylogenetic positions of extinct species” presented to the Department of Integrative Biology at UC Berkeley (invited presentation).
- Hendricks, J.R., May 2013, “Digitization, diverse data, and deadly snails: revealing the ancient history of a hyperdiverse molluscan clade,” American Museum of Natural History, New York, New York (invited presentation).
Reviewing and Editorial Service
- Hendricks, J.R., Peer reviewer of National Science Foundation Proposal
- Hendricks, J.R., 2013, three peer reviews (one book for University of Chicago Press and two articles for edited volumes).
- Hendricks, J.R., Journal reviewer for:
- Bulletin of Marine Science
- Evolution: Education and Research
Other Professional Service
- Hendricks, J.R., September 2012, attendance and presentation at the iDigBio “Public Participation in Digitization” workshop, Gainesville, Florida.
- Hendricks, J.R., May 2013, Online (Google Hangout) presentation on trilobites for 4th grade students at Glenbrook Elementary School, Pulaski, Wisconsin.