Professor: Geomorphology, Pre-college Earth Science Education
Phone: 408 924-5027
Dr. Messina is participating in the faculty early retirement program and is no longer accepting graduate students.
- Ph.D., 1998, City University of New York
- Current research includes automated cartography, GPS (Global Positioning System) mapping applications, GIS (Geographic Information Systems) analyses and remote sensing, especially as applied to aeolian landforms and processes.
- Intro to GIS/GPS for Geologic Applications (GEOL 137)
- Advanced GIS/GPS Mapping (GEOL 237)
- Secondary School Science (SCED 173)
Recent Activity (2011-2013)
- Messina, P. et al., 2013, Next Generation Science Standards, Achieve, Inc.https://www.nextgenscience.org/, 95 p.
- Messina, P. et al., 2013, Next Generation Science Standards: For States, By States: Washington DC, The National Academies Press, 324 p.
- Messina, P., 2012, Television interview for the Travel Channel’s “Mystery of the Monument,” a series highlighting scientific research of natural phenomena in the U.S. National Park sites.
- Messina, P., 2011, On-site interview (Death Valley) for an episode of the National Geographic Channel’s “Wild Case Files” series.
- Wysession, M., Colson, M., Duschl, R.A., Messina, P., Lopez, R., and Speranza, P., 2013, Challenges of the NGSS for future Geoscience education: American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting Supplement, Abstracts.
- Wysession, M., Colson, M., Duschl, R.A., Messina, P., Lopez, R., and Speranza, P., 2013, Implications of the NGSS for future Geoscience education: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 45, no. 7.
- Messina, P. April 2013 and November 2013, “Next Generation Science Standards Workshops for Teachers,” SJSU Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, >150 participants from regional schools.
Other Professional Service
- Messina, P., September – December 2013, Achieve, Inc., Washington, D.C. Worked in committee toward compiling metadata and evidence statements for the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Messina, P., April and November 2013, Geoscience representative of the College Board’s Science Academic Advisory Council, New York, NY.
- Messina, P., March 2012 and November 2012, New York City: The College Board Science Academic Advisory Committee semi-annual meetings.
- Messina, P., March 2012. New York City: The College Board SAT subject test meeting.
- Messina, P., October 2011 and May 2012, Desertification and dune migration in northeastern Arizona, in conjunction with the USGS Flagstaff Field Office.
- Messina, P., February 2011, April 2011, July 2011, November 2011, January 2012, April 2012, July 2012, August 2012: Achieve, Inc, Washington D.C. Travel associated with Next Generation Science Standards writing team meetings.