Professor, Metamorphic Petrology, Geochemistry, and Earth Science EducationPhone: 408 924-5048
Office: DH 319
Office Hours (Spring 2017): M 11:00 AM-12:00 PM, W 3:00-4:00 PM or by appointment
- Ph.D. 1984, Syracuse University
- Current interests are in trace element geochemistry of igneous and metamorphic rocks and thermobarometry.
- Fundamentals of Mineralogy (GEOL 120)
- Petrology (GEOL 122)
- Advanced Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology (GEOL 213)
- Global Themes of Science (SCI 110)
- Science, Society, and Sustainability (SCI 255)
Recent Activity (2011-2013)
- Metzger, E.P., April 2013, Pacific Section American Association of Petroleum Geologists Distinguished Educator Award.
- Metzger, E.P., “Bay Area Earth Science Institute”, Chevron ($106,300, 2010-2012).
- Metzger, E.P., “California Alliance for Sustainability (CASE) at SJSU”, Clarence E. Heller Charitable Foundation ($71,333, 1/15/2012-6/15/13).
- Metzger, E.P. and Williams, D.W., “Geochemical and Petrographic Investigation of Miocene Volcanic Rocks Near San Luis Reservoir, Central Diablo Range, California”, San Jose State University Undergraduate Research Grant ($997, 7/1/13 - 6/30/14).
- Metzger, E.P.,“Improving 6th Grade Climate Literacy Using New Media and Teacher Professional Development”, NASA ($385,981, 9/01/2011-8/31/2014).
- Cordero, E., Metzger, E.P., and Walsh, E., “The Green Ninja Project”, City of San Jose - Silicon Valley Energy Watch ($59,932, 8/1/2013 - 12/31/2014).
- Gervais, S. M., and Metzger, E.P., 2011, Preliminary analysis of Borosilicate minerals in pegmatitic leucosomes within aluminous granulites at Ledge Mountain, Central Adirondack Highlands, New York, Abstract #V31F-2594, American Geophysical Union Meeting.
- Gervais, S. M. and Metzger, E.P., 2012, A multi-method study of metamorphism and fluid flow through the May Lake interpluton screen, Yosemite National Park, CA: Abstract #V11A-2742, American Geophysical Union Meeting.
- Metzger, E.P., Smith, G., Cordero, E. C., and Santone, S., 2012, The California Alliance for Sustainability: A collaborative pilot project to build regional advocacy and leadership for sustainability education, Abstract #ED51E-06, American Geophysical Union Meeting.
- Smith, G., Schmidt C., Metzger, E.P., and Cordero, E.C., 2012, Improving 6th Grade Climate Literacy using New Media (CLINM) and teacher professional development, Abstract #ED11E-02, American Geophysical Union Meeting.
- Cordero, E., Metzger, E.P., and Smith, G., 2013, Promoting action on climate change through scientific storytelling and the Green Ninja Film Academy: Abstract ED13B-0771, 2013 Fall Meeting, American Geophysical Union, San Francisco.
- Metzger, E.P., 2013, A model for long-term teacher teacher professional development: reflections from twenty-three years of the Bay Area Earth Science Institute: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 45, no. 7, p. 795.
- Metzger, E.P., Santone, S., Smith, G., and Cordero, E., 2013, A self-paced online module for teachers using climate change as a context for bringing sustainability education to the classroom: Abstract ED11A-0708, 2013 Fall Meeting, American Geophysical Union, San Francisco.
Metzger, E.P., Miller, R.B., Harper, G.D., and MacDonald, J.H., 2016, Synthesis of geochemical data for mafic rocks in the crystalline core of the North Cascades and potential correlatives: Tectonic implications, in Cheney, E., ed., The geology of Washington and beyond: Seattle, University of Washington Press, p. 156-180.
- Andersen, D.W., *Shostak, N.C., *Locke, K.M., *Ramstetter, N.P., and Metzger, E.P., 2016, Composition of sediment records late Quaternary paleogeographic evolution of Santa Clara Valley, California: Geosphere, v. 12, no. 2, DOI: 10.1130/GES01259.1
Metzger, E.P., Miller, R.B., Harper, G.D., and MacDonald, J.H., Jr., 2015, Geochemistry of mafic rocks in the Crystalline core of the north Cascades and possible correlatives: Tectonic implications: in, Cheney, E.S., ed., the Geology of Washington and Beyond: from Laurentia to Cascadia: University of Washington Press, p. 156-180.
Chang, H. C., Kelly, R. M., Metzger, E.P., 2016, A qualitative study of teachers' Understanding of Sustainability: Education for sustainable development (ESD), dimensions of sustainability, environmental protection: in Urban, M. J.; Falvo, D. A. eds., Improving K-12 STEM Education Outcomes through Technological Integration, Hershey, PA: IGI Global, p. 1-436.
Chapman, A.D., Ernst, W.G., Gottlieb, E., Powerman, V. and Metzger, E.P., 2015, Detrital zircon geochronology of Neoproterozoic–Lower Cambrian passive-margin strata of the White-Inyo Range, east-central California: Implications for the Mojave–Snow Lake fault hypothesis: Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 127, p. 926-944.
- Metzger, E.P., October 2013, “Improving climate literacy with new media and the Green Ninja”, 42nd Annual Meeting of the North American Association of Environmental Education, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Metzger, E.P., October 2013, “Teacher education for sustainability: examples from San José State University”, 42nd Annual Meeting of the North American Association of Environmental Education, Baltimore, Maryland.
Other Professional Service
- Metzger, E.P., April 2012 NASA-NOAA-NSF Climate Change Education Principal.
- Metzger, E.P. (with Eugene Cordero, Grinell Smith, and Cynthia Smith), June 25-29, 2012, “Climate Literacy” workshop for 20 middle school teachers.
- Metzger, E.P. (with Eugene Cordero and Grinell Smith), July 10-12, 2012,"Earth Science,
Society and Sustainability” workshop for 20 middle and high school teachers and four teacher education faculty from SJSU and CSU East Bay.
- Metzger, E.P. (with SJSU lecturer LeAnne Teruya and Will Schweller), July 17-19, 2012, “California Geology and Geologic Hazards” workshop for 30 middle and high school teachers.
- Metzger, E.P. (with Jonathan Hendricks and LeAnne Teruya of the Geology Department, Chevron geologists, and SJSU faculty from the departments of Meteorology and Climate Science, Environmental Studies, Elementary Education and Biological Sciences), September 2011-September 2012: the Bay Area Earth Science Institute presented 10 full-day interdisciplinary Saturday workshops and field trips that addressed earth, life, and environmental science topics; each session served 20-25 teachers.
- Metzger, E.P. (with Jonathan Hendricks and LeAnne Teruya of the Geology Department, and SJSU faculty from the departments of Meteorology and Climate Science, Elementary Education, Biological Sciences and Astronomy and Physics), January-November, 2013: the Bay Area Earth Science Institute presented six full-day interdisciplinary Saturday workshops that addressed earth and environmental science topics; each session served 15-25 teachers.
- Metzger, E.P. (with Cordero, E., Smith, G., and others), two multi-day climate change education workshops for middle and high school teachers.
- Metzger, E.P., and Cordero, E., March 2013: "Energy Detectives", a hands-on workshop for ~ 130 middle school students attending MESA (Mathematics Engineering Science Achievement) Day at San Jose State University.