Student Assistant Job Opening
Position announcement: fraternity & sorority life student assistant
Applications due by Tuesday, March 6 at 1pm.
Explore our website for more information about Fraternity & Sorority Life at SJSU.
- Assist with leadership development and programming of the Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Council, and National Pan-Hellenic Council and United Sorority and Fraternity Council (USFC) Groups including retreats, conferences, and programs.
- Responsible for knowledge of applicable policies, regulations, and laws effecting Greek Letter Organizations at SJSU.
- Develop monthly calendar for all Greek affiliated events.
- Produce minutes and agenda for PACE Meetings, and other collaborative.
- Attend Panhellenic, IFC, NPHC and USFC general and special meetings/activities
- Support Greek Community Committee activities
- Assist with outreach services to alumni/ae and advisors.
- Research & Data collection for Greek Life projects
- Write high volumes of memos and emails
- Maintain Greek Life Historical Archives
- May be asked to attend conferences such as WRGLC and the CSU Summit
Specific Experience Outcomes:
- Greater understanding of organizational structure and personnel of Greek Life
- Opportunity to develop and practice valuable administrative, programming and leadership skills
- Acquire greater knowledge of campus and community programs and departments.
- Ability to determine needed goals and be self-directed in accomplishing them.
- Excellence experience for someone interested in a Greek Professional or Higher Education Career
- Basic Administration and Clerical support including maintaining phone list and databases
Benefits/ Time Commitment:
- Term of employment – March - May 2012 (Three month commitment)
- 10-12 hours per week (on occasion evening and weekend work may be required)
- Salary - $9.00 per hour
- Attendance at meetings and supervision of sessions with designated staff members
- Academic credit if prearranged with academic department
- Ability to work with specified deadlines
- Current enrollment in an academic program at SJSU (minimum 9 units for undergraduate, 6
- units for graduate)
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75, higher GPA preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of the Fraternity & Sorority community at SJSU or the desire to learn
- Ability to work with confidential material
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and with varying work styles
- Strong sense of professionalism
- Typing ability and knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
All applicants must be matriculated SJSU students. Student Assistants must maintain full time academic status while in the position. Previous work experience with Greek or campus organizations is preferred. Candidate must have excellent communication and be assertive.
Please call 924-5950 or 924-5958 for more information.
SJSU is committed to foster a diverse environment and does not discriminate on the
race, religion, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, Vietnam veteran’s
status, national origin or disability.