University Learning Goals (ULG)
Mastered the depth of knowledge required for a degree, as identified by its program learning outcomes.
Mastery in each step of an investigative, creative or practical project (i.e. brainstorming, planning, formulating hypotheses or complex questions, designing, creating, completing, and communicating).
An understanding of the implications of results or findings from a particular work in a societal context (i.e. social or economic implications of a scientific finding).
Students graduating with a baccalaureate degree will have demonstrated an understanding of critical components of broad academic areas, the arts, humanities, social sciences, and sciences and their integration.
Fluency in the use of specific theories, tools, technology and graphical representation.
Skills and abilities necessary for life-long learning: critical and creative thinking, effective communication, conscientious information gathering and processing, mastery of quantitative methodologies, and the ability to engage effectively in collaborative activities.
The ability to integrate theory, practice, and problem-solving to address practical issues.
The ability to apply their knowledge and skills to new settings or in addressing complex problems.
The ability to work productively as individuals and in groups.
The ability to act intentionally and ethically to address a global or local problem in an informed manner with a multicultural and historical perspective and a clear understanding of societal and civic responsibilities.
Diverse and global perspectives through engagement with the multidimensional SJSU community.
Division Learning Goals (DLG)
Critical Thinking Skills
Ability to independently and accurately evaluate information, data and ideas from multiple perspectives.
Embodies the ability to receive information, exchange ideas, present information, and convey messages in ways effective and appropriate to the situation and audience.
Multicultural Competence and Active Citizenship
Understanding and appreciating human differences as well as positively contributing to the community.
Practical Competence/Life Skills
The capacity to manage one's affairs both inside and outside of the university.
Leadership and Interpersonal Competence
The ability to mobilize groups around shared interests as well as demonstrate and sustain meaningful relationships.
Making informed decisions and acting on those decisions to enhance personal and community health.
Student Involvement at San José State University offers programs and services that are designed to not only provide opportunities for educational advancement, but to also apply what is learned. To this end, students will demonstrate mastery of the University Learning Goals; and furthermore, will think critically and practically, commit to success, and engage themselves as active members of society.
- Involved students at San José State University will think critically and practically
- Students demonstrate self-awareness through accurate assessment and understanding of personal strengths and challenges (maps to Intellectual Skills)
- When faced with uncertainty, students will demonstrate intellectual and emotional aptitude — a tolerance of ambiguity (maps to Intellectual Skills and/or Applied Knowledge)
- Students exhibit cognitive complexity through creative and reflective thinking (maps to Intellectual Skills and/or Applied Knowledge)
- Involved students at San José State University will commit to success
- Resilient students will learn to appreciate the lessons that follow crucibles and adapt constructively (maps to Intellectual Skills, Applied Knowledge, and/or Social and Global Responsibilities)
- Students will acquire practical competence in communication ability, managing time and responsibilities, and leading purposeful, healthy lives (maps to Intellectual Skills and/or Applied Knowledge)
- Students will demonstrate a thorough understanding of University programs, organizations, and services — campus connectedness (maps to Applied Knowledge and/or Social and Global Responsibilities)
- Involved students at San José State University will engage themselves as active members
- Students will engender a conscious mindfulness that values difference in the thoughts and actions of themselves and others (maps to Broad Integrative Knowledge, Intellectual Skills, Applied Knowledge, and/or Social and Global responsibilities)
- Students will become responsibly connected to the society in which we reside by actively working toward change (maps to Applied Knowledge and/or Social and Global Responsibilities)
- An ability to start a movement or participate wholeheartedly in the accomplishments of others — leaders and followers (Intellectual Skills, Applied Knowledge, and/or Social and Global Responsibilities)