Beta Theta Pi Fraternity
About Beta Theta Pi
Membership in Beta Theta Pi is based on finding men who believe and live by the same set of fraternal values. These values, the Fraternity's objects are the basis for recruitment, pledging and a lifelong membership in Beta Theta Pi. "It shall be constituted as hereinafter provided and shall have for its objects the promotion of the moral and social culture of its members, the establishment of confidence and friendly relations among the universities and colleges of the United States and Canada, in securing unity of action and sympathy in matters of common interest among them, and the building up of a fraternity that recognizes mutual assistance in the honorable labors and aspirations of life, devotion to the cultivation of the intellect, unsullied friendship and unfaltering fidelity, as objects worthy of the highest aim and purpose of associated effort." — The Objects of Beta Theta Pi.
Beta Theta Pi has a storied history as a member of the Miami Triad — three collegiate fraternities (Beta Theta Pi (1839), Phi Delta Theta (1848) and Sigma Chi (1855)) founded at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.
The Zeta Eta chapter focuses on providing our members with a positive and fulfilling college experience. Our first focus is the cultivation of the intellect. From our scholarship guidelines, you will learn how to study and how to perform at a level of excellence here at San José State. Our second focus is mutual assistance. We strive to help each other and our surrounding community. We do this by creating philanthropies and community service projects that promote the well being of us all. Lastly, our final focus is lifelong friendship.
Learn more about our chapter house.
- Designation: Zeta Eta Chapter
- President: Justin De Castro
- Websites: Chapter and National
- Active Members: 28
- SJSU Founding: March 11, 1995
- National Founding: August 8, 1839 at Miami University in Oxford OH (part of the Miami Triad)
- 2013 Service / Philanthropy: n/a
- Scholarship: Spring 2014—2.83
- Colors: delicate shades of Pink and Blue
- Flower: Roses of the "June" or "Queen of the Prairie" variety
- Symbol: Dragon, Star, Diamond
- Motto: "Firman Consensus Facit / Cooperation Makes Strength"
- Nickname: Betas
- Famous Alumni: Senator Richard Lugar (IN), former Canadian Prime Minister John Turner, Stephen Sondheim (composer), Sam Walton (Walmart founder and CEO)
- Annual Events: Futures Quest, Leadership College, Beta Wilderness Challenge, Keystone
Conference, and Chapter President's Leadership Academy
Awards and Recognition (2012–13)
- External Relations Award
- Silver Laurel Chapter (2012 Standards of Excellence – 1680 points, 84%)