Delta Upsilon Fraternity
About Delta Upsilon
Delta Upsilon is the sixth oldest international collegiate Greek-letter organization, and is the oldest non-secret fraternity in North America. We are the premier men's fraternity committed to Building Better Men for a global society through service, leadership development, and lifelong personal growth of our diverse membership.
Late in the fall of 1834, twenty men from the sophomore and junior classes found ten of the best men from the freshmen class and came together in opposition to the activities of the two secret societies at Williams College. A meeting was called for the evening of November 4, in the Freshman Recitation Room of Old West College, a Williams College dormitory that still stands today. The Williams College chapter house has since become an upperclass dormitory, aptly named the James A. Garfield House, after Williams College alumnus and former President James A. Garfield. Within four years of its founding, the ideals of an anti-secret brotherhood based on merit spread rapidly, and groups were set up at Union College in 1838, Middlebury College in 1845, and Hamilton College and Amherst College both in 1847. Delta Upsilon has been an active fraternity at San José State University since 1948.
Learn more about our chapter house.
- Designation: San José Chapter
- President: Sterling Rose
- Websites: Chapter and National
- Active Members: 85
- SJSU Founding: November 14, 1948; rechartered December 2, 1984
- National Founding: November 4, 1834 at Williams College in Williamstown MA
- 2012 Service / Philanthropy: 294 hours of service, $2,600 raised for charity
- Scholarship: Fall 2013—2.77, Spring 2013—2.81
- Colors: Sapphire Blue and Old Gold
- Motto: "Dikaia Upotheke / Justice, Our Foundation"
- Nickname: DU
- Famous Alumni: President James A. Garfield, Joseph P. Kennedy (father of President John F. Kennedy), Michael Eisner (former Walt Disney Company CEO and Chairman), Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (author), Peter Ueberroth '59 (former Comissioner of Major League Baseball)