Kappa Sigma Fraternity
About Kappa Sigma
Suspended (Charter Withdrawn by National Leadership) - until further notice
On December 10, 1869, five students at the University of Virginia met in 46 East Lawn and founded the Kappa Sigma Fraternity in America. William Grigsby McCormick, George Miles Arnold, John Covert Boyd, Edmund Law Rogers Jr. and Frank Courtney Nicodemus established the fraternity based on the traditions and of the ancient order in Bologna. These five founders became collectively known as the "Five Friends and Brothers." In 1872, Kappa Sigma initiated Stephen Alonzo Jackson, who would go on to transform a struggling local fraternity into a strong international Brotherhood. The organization attributes much of its success to Jackson noting that, "Since his death in 1892, the success of the Order is the direct result of Jackson’s devotion 'to make Kappa Sigma the leading college fraternity of the world.'"
The Kappa Sigma Fraternity at SJSU has been devoted to our four core principles: scholarship, leadership, fellowship and service. Members are focused on community service, participating in other fraternity and sorority philanthropies and scholastic excellence.
Learn more about our chapter house.
- Designation: Theta Iota Chapter
- President: Jordan Watts
- Websites: Chapter and National
- Active Members: 70
- SJSU Founding: April 24, 1965
- National Founding: December 10, 1869 at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville VA
- 2014 Service / Philanthropy: hours of service not reported, charity dollars not reported
- Scholarship: Spring 2015–2.79, Fall 2014–2.56
- Colors: Scarlet, White and Emerald Green
- Flower: Lily of the Valley
- Symbol: Star and Crescent
- Motto: "Bononia Docet / Bologna Teaches"
- Nickname: Kappa Sig
- Famous Alumni: Jimmy Buffett (singer), former Senator Robert J. Dole (KS), Robert Redford (actor), Ted Turner (media mogul), Edward R. Murrow (broadcasting legend)
- Annual Events: Beauty Bowl and Powderpuff Football Fundraiser (spring)