Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity
About Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Sigma Alpha Epsilon is the largest North American Greek-letter social college fraternity. We were founded on March 9, 1856 at the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Of all existing national social fraternities today, Sigma Alpha Epsilon is the only one founded in the Antebellum South. Our national headquarters, the Levere Memorial Temple, was established on the campus of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois in 1929. Sigma Alpha Epsilon has more than 307,000 initiated members and more than 12,000 undergraduates at 229 active chapters and 19 colonies in 49 states and provinces at present.
Our creed is The True Gentleman, and we strive to live up to it on a daily basis. "The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe." — John Walter Wayland. Virginia, 1899
The California Zeta Chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon at San José State University began as an interest group of 9 people in Fall 2005. Out of that group of students, 2 members, Epifanio Santiago and Alberto Gutierrez, were successful reviving SAE. The group was officially recolonized on November 5, 2005.
Learn more about our chapter house.
- Designation: California Zeta Chapter
- President: Brendan Ergas
- Websites: Chapter and National
- Active Members: 23
- SJSU Founding: November 1, 1947; rechartered October 27, 2007
- National Founding: March 9, 1856 at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa AL
- 2014 Service / Philanthropy: 154 hours of service / $4,000 raised for charity
- Scholarship: Spring 2015–2.63, Fall 2014–2.72
- Colors: Royal Purple and Old Gold
- Flower: Violet
- Symbols: Lion, Phoenix, Minerva, Fleur-de-lis
- Motto: "Phi Alpha"
- Nickname: SAE
- Famous Alumni: President William McKinley, "Pistol" Pete Maravich, Bobby Jones, Troy Aikman, General Richard Meyers, Greg McElroy, Phil Jackson, T. Boone Pickens, Joseph B. Strauss, Robert Ballard, Dierks Bentley, Ross Perot, Elliot Ness, Henry Paulson, Patrick McEnroe, Beau Bridges, William Faulkner, Commander William Oefelein, David Spade and Nick Lachey
- Annual Events: Paddy Murphy and SAE Founders Day
Awards and Recognition (2014–15)
- 4.0 Award — Single Semester: Arton Falahati
- Bronze Laurel Chapter (2014 Standards of Excellence – 1465 points, 73%)