Sigma Nu Fraternity
About Sigma Nu
Sigma Nu has a storied history as a member of the Lexington Triad — three collegiate fraternities (Alpha Tau Omega (1865), Kappa Alpha Order (1865), and Sigma Nu (1869)) founded in Lexington, Virginia at Washington and Lee University and the Virginia Military Institute, during Reconstruction following the American Civil War.
Sigma Nu Fraternity prides themselves on 3 tenets: Love, Honor and Truth. The brothers of Sigma Nu also believe in the benefits of having fun and making the most of your college experience socially. Every semester we accomplish this by having serenades and exchanges with the sororities on campus, parties, impromptu backyard barbecues and basketball games, camping trips, road trips to other Sigma Nu chapters, and the pledge dance. College is about succeeding academically, but it is also about having the time of your life.
Sigma Nu is proud to announce we have celebrated over 60 years at SJSU. We were founded against hazing and are proud of that. We have 2 philanthropies a year, Spring we hold Grand Slam which is a co-ed Softball tournament for St. Jude’s Children Hospital and in the fall the White Rose Queen Pageant with proceeds going towards the White Ribbon Campaign. We excel academically and are creating new leaders every day in our chapter. We love giving back to the community and helping others in need and are always looking for new opportunities to do so. We also recently renovated the house, including all three of our bathrooms and our new study room.
Learn more about our chapter house.
- Designation: Zeta Iota Chapter
- President: Veeral Sarhad
- Websites: Chapter and National
- Active Members: 80
- SJSU Founding: May 19, 1951
- National Founding: January 1, 1869 at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington VA (part of the Lexington Triad)
- 2014 Service / Philanthropy: 1158 hours of service, $16,180 raised for charity
- Scholarship: Spring 2015–2.89, Fall 2014–2.77
- Colors: Black, White, and Gold
- Flower: White Rose(The Classic Five-Petaled, wild, white English Floribunda)
- Symbols: A Serpent, A Rose, A Star
- Motto: "Excelling With Honor"
- Nickname: SigNu
- Famous Alumni: Harrison Ford (actor), Bob Barker (t.v. host), Eli Manning (NY Giants quarterback), Daniel Amos (CEO of AFLAC), Ronald Evans (astronaut, pilot for Apollo 17)
- Annual Events: White Rose Queen Pageant benefitting the Wounded Warrior Project and
Awards and Recognition (2014–15)
- 4.0 Awards — Single Semester: Justin Mickanen and Earl Villorente
- Man of the Year — Veeral Sarhad
- Gold Laurel Chapter (2014 Standards of Excellence – 1704 points, 85%)