- Designation: Beta Eta Chapter
- Active Members: 21
- SJSU Founding: October 21, 1950; rechartered March 6, 1993
- National Founding: February 26, 1897 at Vincennes University in Vincennes IN
- 2011 Service / Philanthropy: hours of service not reported, charity dollars not reported
- Scholarship: Fall 2012—2.46, Spring 2012—2.43
- Colors: Lavender and White (with Gold as an auxiliary)
- Flower: Lavender Orchid
- Symbol: Owl
- Motto: "Progress, man's distinctive mark alone, Not God's, and not the beasts'; God is, they are. Man partly is and wholly hopes to be"
- Nickname: SigPi
- Famous Alumni: Jeff Arnett (current Master Distiller for Jack Daniels) and Tony Romo (Dallas Cowboys Quarterback)
For More Information
- Night of 1000 Laughs
- ACE Project
- Sam Spady
Learn more about our chapter's house!
SUSPENDED SPRING 2013 FOLLOWING RETURN FROM SUSPENSION FOR HAZING, FOR NOT MEETING ACADEMIC STANDARDS
About Sigma Pi
On February 26, 1897, a professor of Latin and French spoke to a group of students at chapel hour at Vincennes University about college fraternities, sparking an interest in several students. Later that day four students held the first meeting of a newly formed literary society. It started as Tau Phi Delta, a literary society with fraternal ideals. The Founders little dreamt the fraternity would develop anything beyond a local organization, it came into existence through the desire of a few kindred souls to give expression to their sincere spirit of fraternalism. Tau Phi Delta became The Sigma Pi Fraternity, United States in 1907, with the beginning of its first phase of expansion. Sigma Pi is the first of its kind to be founded west of the Ohio Valley.
About Beta Eta Chapter
Sigma Pi, Beta Eta chapter of SJSU, has many qualities that would appeal to many individuals. Our activities range from philanthropic events to sports accomplishments, including winning several titles and placements in intramural sports. Our philanthropic event, "Night of 1000 Laughs" is a humorous night of improvisational comedy skits performed by teams from sororities, not only from our campus, but also includes Santa Clara University chapters. All of our proceeds benefit the American Red Cross.
We actively participate in sorority philanthropies where we have placed highly. Our social events include parties and other non-alcoholic exchanges with ladies from different sororities such as movie nights. Also, out Founder's Day celebration is a great opportunity for alumni, active members, and pledges to get together and celebrate the founding of our great fraternity with good food and company. Other activities include brotherhood camping retreats to Pismo Beach, spring break trips to Mexico and Las Vegas, and formal pledge dances in Lake Tahoe and Reno.