Sigma Pi Fraternity
About Sigma Pi
On February 26, 1897, a professor of Latin and French spoke to a group of students at chapel hour at Vincennes University about college fraternities, sparking an interest in several students. Later that day four students held the first meeting of a newly formed literary society. It started as Tau Phi Delta, a literary society with fraternal ideals. The Founders little dreamt the fraternity would develop anything beyond a local organization, it came into existence through the desire of a few kindred souls to give expression to their sincere spirit of fraternalism. Tau Phi Delta became The Sigma Pi Fraternity, United States in 1907, with the beginning of its first phase of expansion. Sigma Pi is the first of its kind to be founded west of the Ohio Valley.
Sigma Pi, Beta Eta chapter of SJSU, has many qualities that would appeal to many individuals. Our activities range from philanthropic events to sports accomplishments, including winning several titles and placements in intramural sports. Our philanthropic event, "Night of 1000 Laughs" is a humorous night of improvisational comedy skits performed by teams from sororities, not only from our campus, but also includes Santa Clara University chapters. All of our proceeds benefit the American Red Cross.
Learn more about our chapter house.
- Designation: Beta Eta Chapter
- President: Pearse O'Connor
- Websites: Chapter and National
- Active Members: 17
- SJSU Founding: October 21, 1950; rechartered March 6, 1993
- National Founding: February 26, 1897 at Vincennes University in Vincennes IN
- 2012 Service / Philanthropy: hours of service not reported, charity dollars not reported
- Scholarship: Spring 2013—2.65, Fall 2012—2.46
- Colors: Lavender and White (with Gold as an auxiliary)
- Flower: Lavender Orchid
- Symbol: Owl
- Motto: "Progress, man's distinctive mark alone, Not God's, and not the beasts'; God is, they are. Man partly is and wholly hopes to be"
- Nickname: SigPi
- Famous Alumni: Jeff Arnett (current Master Distiller for Jack Daniels) and Tony Romo (Dallas Cowboys Quarterback)
- Annual Events: Night of 1000 Laughs, ACE Project, and Sam Spady