Theta Chi Fraternity
About Theta Chi
Academic Probation — Spring 2014
Theta Chi was founded in Norwich, Vermont at Norwich Military Academy in 1856. We were born a tight-knit group of men working toward a common goal of fairness and individual freedom. Theta Chi began as a group of five strong individuals and grew over the last 150 years to include thousands of members, spanning the states and quickly becoming an international fraternity. There are 14 chapters alone in California and colonies emerging every year at different universities around the world.
Our chapter was founded in 1948 and designated as the Gamma Xi chapter. We have hosted regional and national events at our chapter and continue to be looked upon as one of the strongest western chapters of Theta Chi. Gamma Xi has been recognized recently for our remarkable growth and our continued strength and leadership with the Chapter Achievement Award (2006). Some of our past brothers include famous producer Steven Spielberg, former ESPN CEO J. William Grimes, and Al Saunders, offensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins.
We strive to better ourselves and our community through annual philanthropic events and charity fundraisers. We strive to better ourselves as leaders, academic scholars, and strong, candid individuals. By becoming a Theta Chi, we dedicate ourselves to making a positive difference in our community and the world. An individual looking to join an organization on campus has the desire challenge himself and makes changes that will affect his life and his community, at Theta Chi we share those goals and we make them a reality.
Learn more about our chapter house.
- Designation: Gamma Xi Chapter
- President: Johnny Murphy
- Websites: Chapter and National
- Active Members: 40
- SJSU Founding: May 15, 1948
- National Founding: April 10, 1856 at Norwich University in Norwich VT
- 2013 Service / Philanthropy: 510 hours of service, $700 raised for charity
- Scholarship: Spring 2014-2.62, Fall 2013—2.57
- Colors: Military Red and White
- Flower: Red Carnation
- Symbol: Rattlesnake
- Motto: "An Assisting Hand"
- Nickname: T-Chi, Ox
- Famous Alumni: General John M. Shalikashvili (former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Supreme Allied Commander), Steven Spielberg (director, producer), Lee C. Bollinger (Columbia University president), Harry Reasoner (news anchor, 60 Minutes editor), Samuel DiPiazza (CEO, Price Waterhouse Coopers), Joel McHale (actor)
- Annual Events: GI Theta Chi Philanthropy, Kicks for Kids Kickball, and Alumni Homecoming Tailgate