Delta Zeta Sorority
About Delta Zeta
Delta Zeta is an international college sorority founded on October 24, 1902, at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Miami is dubbed the "Mother of Fraternities" because of the many prominent organizations which were founded there. Today, Delta Zeta has 158 collegiate chapters in the United States and over 200 alumnae chapters in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada. There are over 234,000 college and alumnae members.
The purpose of this sorority is to unite its members in the bonds of sincere and lasting friendship, to stimulate one another in the pursuit of knowledge, to promote the moral and social culture of its members, and to develop plans for guidance and unity in action; objects worthy of the highest aim and purpose of associated effort. The purpose of this sorority shall be advanced through the National Convention, the National Council, and the college and alumnae chapters.
In Delta Zeta, our purpose is to enrich our member's college years, our campuses, our communities and beyond. Delta Zeta membership endures for a lifetime. Delta Zeta is a commitment to enrich our lives with the highest of values. Membership involves many privileges and obligations. We strive to excel in the areas of academic achievement, philanthropy, community service, campus involvement, spiritual growth, leadership development and social success. Our chapter takes pride in our Turtle Bowl event which raises money for the Painted Turtle Camp, participating in the American Cancer Society's Breast Cancer Walk, academics, and a variety of other events that involve giving back to the community.
Learn more about our chapter house.
- Designation: Gamma Lambda Chapter
- President: Danielle Walter
- Websites: Chapter and National
- Social Media: Facebook
- Active Members: 108
- SJSU Founding: February 28, 1948
- National Founding: October 24, 1902 at Miami University in Oxford OH
- 2014 Service / Philanthropy: 3316.5 hours of service, $14,300 raised for charity
- Scholarship: Spring 2015–2.92, Fall 2014–2.80
- Colors: Old Rose and Nile Green
- Flower: Pink Killarney Rose
- Symbol: Roman Lamp
- Motto: "Let the Flame Endure Forever!"
- Nicknames: DZ, DeeZee
- Famous Alumnae: Joy Behar (co-host, The View), Florence Henderson (actress), Sally Ride (astronaut), Edith Head (designer), Martha Sofia Lovisa Dagmar Thyra (Princess Martha of Sweden), Meg Ryan (actress), Neve Campbell (actress), Courtney Cox (actress), Sharon Stone (actress), Ann Rice (author)
- Annual Events: Turtle Bowl, Breakfast For Dinner, New Member Dance, Alumnae Rose Tea,
and Parent’s Day
Awards and Recognition (2014–15)
- 4.0 Awards — Single Semester: Katelyn Humbert and Mindy Nguyen
- Faculty/Staff Advisor of the Year Award (Sorority) — Hilary Nixon
- Commitment to Service Award
- Excellence in Chapter Management Award
- Best in Council Award (Panhellenic)
- Gold Laurel Chapter (2014 Standards of Excellence — 1715 points, 86%)
- Delta Zeta is the largest international sorority and second largest sorority in the United States, with over 160 chapters
- Our philanthropy is Speech & Hearing and The Painted Turtle Camp
- Our badge was voted the most beautiful fraternal badge and is on display in the Smithsonian
- Tiffany & Co. designed the Delta Zeta badge
- The sorority featured in Legally Blonde was based on Delta Zeta
- Delta Zeta is in the first group of sororities to receive a print by designer Lilly Pulitzer