Alpha Kappa Omicron Sorority
About Alpha Kappa Omicron
Alpha Kappa Omicron is a Pilipino-American sorority based on the history, traditions, and culture of the Philippines. This sorority is dedicated to the development of community awareness, self-empowerment, and academic excellence. Each individual is enriched through community involvement, strong leadership, and achieved success in a higher educational system. The idea of starting Alpha Kappa Omicron as a sorority at San Francisco State University was both a vision and a dream brought to reality by the five founding sisters in Fall 1997. The founding sisters of Alpha Kappa Omicron had a vision to create an organization of sisterhood with the idea of educating young Pinays who want to become more involved in the Pilipino-American community. With hard work and dedication, the Beta Chapter was formed in 2005 with ten charter sisters at California State University, East Bay.
On May 15, 2011, Alpha Kappa Omicron, Gamma Colony was established at San José State University with 12 charter sisters. The charter sisters worked persistently in preserving the history, traditions and foundation of Alpha Kappa Omicron while maintaining the importance of academic excellence, cultural value, social networking, and community service. Although new to campus, the sisters will continue on with the legacy of promoting self-empowerment and life-long friendships to young women who have the inner fire of making a difference in the community.
- Designation: Gamma Chapter
- President: Rianna Lorenzo
- Websites: Chapter and National
- Type: Filipina Interest
- Active Members: 23
- SJSU Founding: May 15, 2011
- National Founding: December 3, 1997 at San Francisco State University in San Francisco CA
- 2014 Service / Philanthropy: 85 hours of service, charity dollars not reported
- Scholarship: Fall 2015 - 2.61, Spring 2015–2.41, Fall 2014–2.60
- Colors: Royal Blue, Black, and White
- Flower: Sampaguita
- Symbol: Star
- Motto: "A Sister is a Forever Friend"
- Nickname: AKOmicron
- Annual Events: Cupcakes for a Cause
Awards and Recognition (2014–15)
- Council Leadership Award (USFC) — Alyssa Vales
- Bronze Laurel Chapter (2014 Standards of Excellence – 1415 points, 73%)