Gamma Zeta Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
About Gamma Zeta Alpha
Academic Probation — Spring 2014
Disciplinary Probation — September 9, 2012–December 18, 2013 following return from suspension for hazing, probation continued through Spring 2014
In 1987, fifteen men came together to found what would later become Gamma Zeta Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Recognizing the difficulties facing Latinos in high education, the founders sought to create an organization aimed at developing leadership, instilling academic scholarship, and creating an environment of support that integrated Latino heritage. After realizing that other student organizations would not be able to provide all of these to its members, the founders decided that creating a fraternity, something that was new in Latino culture, would be the best opportunity for achieving its goals. From their first meetings, the founders decided that the principles of their new organization would be Academic Excellence, through which they could encourage and support Latino males in higher education; Community Service, with which they could give back to the communities that shaped their lives; and the Maintenance of Latino Culture through Brotherhood, by which they saw their heritage shaping their views and personal values.
Gamma Zeta Alpha Fraternity, Inc. has upheld a tradition of cultivating leaders and strengthening the Latino community for over two decades. Each chapter produces a sustainable membership that brings forth quality programs that benefit their collegiate institutions and the surrounding communities.
- Designation: Beta Chapter
- President: Gustavo Bueno
- Websites: Chapter and National
- Type: Latino Interest
- Active Members: 8
- SJSU Founding: April 27, 1989
- National Founding: December 3, 1987 at California State University, Chico in Chico CA
- 2012 Service / Philanthropy: hours of service not reported, charity dollars not reported
- Scholarship: Fall 2013 — 2.49, Spring 2013—2.54
- Colors: Silver, Black, and White
- Flower: n/a
- Symbol: The Iguana
- Motto: "Cultivating Leaders, Strengthening Communities"
- Nickname: Gammas
- Annual Events: Inferno Fest, Christmas at SJSU, 15-16 de Septiembre, Dia de los Muertos, and Cinco de Mayo