Lambda Sigma Gamma Sorority, Inc.
About Lambda Sigma Gamma
Lambda Sigma Gamma Sorority, Incorporated was founded at Sacramento State University in 1986. Our founders realized that the campus did not offer an organization that met the needs of women from several minority backgrounds. They found an interest in forming an organization that would not only act as a family away from home, but that would also bring together women from various backgrounds and incorporate the principles of self improvement, scholastic excellence, civic responsibility and leadership. Our beautiful sorority became a reality on October 24, 1986 by 27 women. Since then, 22 additional chapters have joined our growing family. Over 25 years, Lambda Sigma Gamma Sorority, Incorporated has grown to include thousands of women from different creeds, ethnicities, cultures, socioeconomic backgrounds, physical talents, mental abilities and sexual preferences. We are continuously growing and welcoming new women to take part in our amazing sisterhood.
Lambda Sigma Gamma Sorority, Incorporated is an academic, community, social, and multicultural sorority at San José State University. We are a solid network of women in higher education who have chosen to unite to enhance our college experiences. Over the past 20 years, our sisters have become involved with several clubs and organizations on campus including Associated Students, Orientation and Transition leaders, United Sorority and Fraternity Council executive board members, Chicano Commencement board members, and Students Advocating for Higher Education, just to name a few. We provide our members a family away from home in order to facilitate the retention of motivated students. Through the support its members offer each other, Lambda Sigma Gamma has developed a strong, safe and loving environment where friendships grow, characters build, knowledge is shared, and a multicultural sisterhood is created.
- Designation: Gamma Chapter
- President: Alejandra Garcia
- Websites: Chapter and National
- Type: Multicultural Interest
- Active Members: 18
- SJSU Founding: May 6, 1989
- National Founding: October 24, 1986 at California State University, Sacramento in Sacramento CA
- 2012 Service / Philanthropy: 108 hours of service, $27 raised for charity
- Scholarship: Fall 2013 — 2.65, Spring 2013—2.67
- Colors: Green, White, and Red
- Flower: Red Rose
- Symbol: n/a
- Motto: "Unity Through Sisterhood, Beauty Through Diversity"
- Nickname: LSG, Lambdas
- Annual Events: Hypnotic club event, Thanksgiving Baskets for Head Start, Black and
White Formal, Dance-A-Thon Benefit Show, and Spring party
Awards and Recognition (2012–13)
- Best in Council (USFC)
- Silver Laurel Chapter (2012 Standards of Excellence — 1720 points, 86%)