Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc.
About Lambda Theta Alpha
The first Latin Sorority in the nation, Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Incorporated was founded in 1975 at Kean University in Union, New Jersey. LTA is a group of women focused on improving community service, representing universal women, and promoting higher education.
In 1998, here at San José State University, an interest group was formed. Ater a year and a half of hard work and dedication, ten lovely ladies established Beta Xi Chapter on January 19, 2000. The ten founding sisters established a chapter for several reasons. Some of these reasons being to have a support group for minority women, for community involvement, for sisterhood, and most importantly, academic excellence.
- Deisgnation: Beta Xi Chapter
- President: Gabriela Esparza
- Websites: National
- Type: Latina Interest
- Active Members: 7
- SJSU Founding: January 19, 2000
- National Founding: December 1975 at Kean University in Union NJ
- 2012 Service / Philanthropy: 78 hours of service, $350 raised for charity
- Scholarship: Spring 2013—3.25, Fall 2012—3.15
- Colors: Burgundy and Grey
- Flower: n/a
- Symbol: n/a
- Motto: "Latin By Tradition Not By Definition"
- Nickname: LTA, Lambda Ladies
- Annual Events: St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital fundraiser, Breast Cancer Awareness
Program, and Saturday Academy
Awards and Recognition (2012–13)
- Academic Improvement Award
- Chapter Management Award
- Best in Council (USFC)
- Silver Laurel Chapter (2012 Standards of Excellence – 1720 points, 86%)