Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity, Inc.
About Lambda Theta Phi
In 1975, there were no Latino fraternities in existence in the United States. The Greek-letter organizations of the time primarily catered to Anglo and African-American students and graduates. Lambda’s founders, as men of vision, realized there was a need to unite the Latino students, develop their leadership skills, impart upon them the value of an education, and instill in them a commitment to their community and culture. The traditional student club would not suffice to accomplish such lofty goals. Hence, Latino unity and brotherhood would be achieved through a long recognized institution – the fraternity. This newest addition to the Greek system would be the first in the nation, by identity and by name: Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity, Incorporated.
Lambda Theta Phi provides college students of diverse backgrounds and descents, working together to be part of a family with a mission. What is this mission? To cultivate a spirit of brotherhood, to value an education, to promote unity among Latinos and all cultures, to be proud of and cherish our heritages, to assert roles of leadership, to develop character, to practice chivalry, and to serve mankind. In short, to raise the social and cultural conscience of the male college student.
In the spring of 2000, 10 freshmen at San José State University embarked on a voyage to join the First Latin Fraternity in the Nation. We founded Beta Zeta on March 26, 2000. The Founding Brothers decided to join Lambda Theta Phi, Latin Fraternity Inc. because of the Vision, Mission and Values that the organization carries. After many years of Brotherhood we continue to work with our peers, community and future Brothers. We pride ourselves on what our chapter has contributed to the San Jose Community. Beta Zeta Chapter will continue to welcome college males of all walks of life to embark on a lifelong journey that will greatly enhance the college experience.
- Designation: Beta Zeta Chapter
- President: Jose Alberto Vega
- Website: Chapter and National
- Type: Latino Interest
- Active Members: 9
- SJSU Founding: March 26, 2000
- National Founding: December 1, 1975 at Kean University in Union NJ
- 2014 Service / Philanthropy: 48 hours of service, charity dollars not reported
- Scholarship: Spring 2015–2.58, Fall 2014–3.38
- Colors: Brown and White
- Flower: White Carnation
- Symbol: n/a
- Motto: "Chivalry Above Self"
- Nickname: The Lambdas
- Annual Events: Adopt-A-Family and Adopt-A-Classroom Christmas Giveaway, Founders Week, American
Heart Association Awareness Week, Chivalry Isn’t Dead Week–Domestic Violence Awareness
Week, Making Strides–Annual Breast Cancer Walk, Lambda Luau–Annual Spring Day Party, Lambda
Luvin’– Annual Spring Club Event, Legacy–Annual Fall Club Event, Second Harvest Food
Bank Brown Bagging, and Grant Elementary School Boys' Mentor Program
Awards and Recognition (2014–15)
- 4.0 Award — Single Semester: Jovani Ruiz
- Chapter Academic Excellence Award
- Most Academically Improved Award
- Gold Laurel Chapter (2014 Standards of Excellence — 1701 points, 85%)